Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You're avin a laff!

Johnmw

You're avin a laff!

received an email from Plusnet
Dear Mr Wyman,
Account username: johnmw
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 2Mbps
Current line speed: 7.15Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:

How on earth is this being calculated - using a spirit level & an abacus!!!, there is no way that I can get or am indeed getting anywhere near that speed, it's 3 miles by road, who knows how long the bit of copper wire is attaching me to the local exchange I'll stick around & see out my 12 month contract but don't treat me like an idiot!
End of rant!
11 REPLIES 11
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: You're avin a laff!

Hi Johnmw,
I've taken a look over your account, the Current line speed: 7.15Mbps is your profile that has been set so we can implement our traffic management on your line, this is set to the maximum available during your initial startup period so we don't restrict your speeds. It simply hasn't changed to the correct value yet.
I've now changed this, so it shows the correct value which is similar to your estimated line speed.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
Mine has been on 7.15 for ages,is this something that needs changing?
Sorry if this is seen as a hijack
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@anniesboy
That's changed for you.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Many thanks, Chris
anniesboy
Rising Star

Can Chris or another PN staff member look at this again,
As mine has reverted to 7.15 again
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's been changed for you, we've got problem 75444 open looking into why this is happening.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Thank you ,but its back to 7.15 again
wykehamhouse
Grafter

anniesboy, it literally makes no difference having the profile set any nearer to your sync speed. This is such a pointless feature - I don't know why Plusnet do it. It's even worse on 21CN, because the BT IP profile changes instantly, but the Plusnet one lags behind.
It's actually more beneficial, because if your sync speed gets slower for a bit and then it increases again, you won't have to wait for the Plusnet profile to change.
anniesboy
Rising Star

The reason I queried was due to the fact Ive had dropped connections on occasions.
The profile is at 7.15 my actual speed has always been around half of that and around  3.5.
Hopefully my cabinet will get fibre soon,the exchange is already enabled.
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Plusnet, can you just set mine to 20Mb and then just leave it there, please?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We apply our profile system to give our customers the benefit of our traffic management system, to give a better internet experience.
They may sometimes be the delay catching up with the IP profile, if the sync rate is something that is changing frequently(dropping connection) then that more than likely indicates a fault.