cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yikes: Just been connected at new address and...

Discord
Grafter

Yikes: Just been connected at new address and...

Over the last half an hour my noise margin has risen to 21 from about 4.  you can imagine the steep graph that gives on Router Stats !!
Current router stats (DG834gt with DG Team software):
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 416 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 61.0 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 22.6 db 14.0 db
Several dropped connections over this time.  Speed varies between 300kbps and 2500kbps. 
I plugged into the test socket briefly (actually it was the 1st thing I did as I wanted to see what speed a "clean signal" gave me) and had:
Connection Speed    3498 kbps
Line Attenunation    61.0 db (I think)
Noise Margin:  4.1 db
I'm not panicking yet (unless you think I need to) as I've got an XTE Faceplate on order.  I'm concerned thoough that with these line stats and fluctuations this won't even help.
Ah - while typing this I've had a thought.  There are 3 or 4 phone extension points throughout the house, none of which are used.  They don't have filters on them - no point as I'm getting the XTE.  But will this currently be affecting things?
Anybody got any thoughts or comments or suggestions?  Is this normal during the 10 days training period?
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Yikes: Just been connected at new address and...

Since you intend to fit a filtered faceplate and don't use the other extensions the first thing I would do is disconect all the extension wires from the removable faceplate. Wrap them in insulating tape for safety and tuck them out of the way temporarily. You can then reconnect them to the filtered faceplate at your leisure
Discord
Grafter

That's a good idea!  is that why you have a long white beard?
From memory, that means disconnecting wire number 3?  I wasn't going to re-read the intricacies of faceplate wiring until I got the new faceplate.
btw - what's to stop me staying connected to the test socket?

yikes no.2 :- noise margin now 23 and holding steady for last 30 mins.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No just disconnect the lot.
However there is no reason why you can't stay connected to the test socket
Discord
Grafter

Think I'd better head over the the DSL Nation forums and do some reading again.  I'm sure when I installed the faceplate at my old house a few years back I only disconnected wire 3.
I still want my master socket "live" for phone use (and sky).
Hope my connection doesn't drop while reading up though !
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Confusion reigns
When connecting the new faceplate you only connect the wires to connections 2 and 5
Temporarily - if you don't use the other extensions disconnect all the wires and only reconnect the ones to 2 and 5 when you get the new faceplate.
This enables you to use the existing faceplate with a filter.
However you can also use the test socket with a filter for your phone and Skybox
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Actually, if you are using a filtered faceplate you should connect 3, because you are not using filters anywhere else, phones that need the bell wire will not ring otherwise (remember a filter generates a bell wire locally at the filter - as does the filtered faceplate - so to speak). But as Jim says, if you are not using a socket don't connect any of it's wires, tape them up for later in case you want them.