cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet further speed issues! (And a heck of a lot more!)

Kathyrn64
Dabbler

Yet further speed issues! (And a heck of a lot more!)

Sorry to be dumping this rambling message on you guys because it seems like you've got plenty on your collective plates right now.
Unfortunately for you, I've not let that stop me!
Anyway, like many other people (also on the Unlimited fibre package?) I've been suffering in terms of my connection speed /ping and have really begun noticing it within I'd say the last week or so.
However, unlike many of the other people, it seems that gateway hoping doesn't resolve it and that it isn't strictly limited to peak hours, or at least this is apparently the case drawing on my experiences of doing it numerous times over the past few days (initially I gateway hopped on the weekend and it seemed to resolve it for a time).
Is it possible that you guys could take a peek at my connection to see if anything might obviously be amiss? I fear that as with so many other people nothing will be obviously causing this!
Oh and just because it seems professional to do so I've gleefully stolen this TLDR friendly format from another post.
Problem: Download speed has dropped from a consistent 20ish Mb for the past few months to below 5Mb.
First night of problems? I've noticed it for about a week.
Connection type: Wired.
Gateway: ptw-ag01.

As you can see at the moment it looks like my line is stable but the download speed is atrocious - I had similar results this morning before I left for work.
Lastly, during the past few days been getting BT Wholesale Error messages. At this point it's probably worth mentioning that I have noticed BT vans at the cabinets near my home - however disconnecting on my router menu and reconnecting does seem to resolve this particular issue. When this happens "active" connections I've established prior to issues remain intact. What I mean by that is that if I were for example streaming radio then the radio will still be able to stream stream but I'll be unable to load up any new pages - not sure if that tells you anything?
Well I think I've gone on for long enough - hope I've not done anything wrong and that I've provided enough information.
God knows I've written enough!
25 REPLIES 25
Bright
Grafter

Re: Yet further speed issues! (And a heck of a lot more!)

While you wait for someone from the Digital Care team to come along and assist, you could try checking your BT IP Profile. That will tell you if your line sync rate has dropped dramatically (which would indicate a line fault, usually), or if it's still close to it's previously much higher level (in which case it's probably something elsewhere in the network). If you go to the BTW speed test site and run the first test stage, then click the "Further Diagnostics" button and run the 2nd stage. The result from that tells you your BT IP Profile (which will be 0.9679 of your line sync rate). Perhaps you could copy/paste the results here, then someone may be able to provide further advice based on that?
Kathyrn64
Dabbler

Hello Bright!
Thank you for the bright idea (pardon the pun).  Smiley
I've done as you so thoughtfully instructed and my results are as follows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.84 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-18.3 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 18.3 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 3.52Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
(There was probably a tidier way to present that!).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I've done the basic checks on your line and can't see anything out of the ordinary. If you keep your connection as it is we'll get some data from your line.
Bright
Grafter

From your IP profile, you should be getting a download speed of around 16Mbps. The reduction to 4.8Mbps may be down to the "evening peak slowdown" fault. Chris is obviously gathering some data on this and will presumably come back with further instructions shortly.
If you run the speedtest.net test outside of the evening peak (eg late evening, early morning or during the day), does the speed increase considerably (up to about 16Mbps)?
You mentioned you were getting even faster downloads. Do you have some example speedtest.net results from before this all started? (on the speedtest.net web site, if you click the "My Results" link at the top of the page, you should see a history of your results, even if you're not a member/logged in). That would give an indication of how much things have changed in the past week or so.
Kathyrn64
Dabbler

Thank you Chris!
Hello again Bright, regarding the "peak hours" hypothesis I felt the same way until I yielded similar results this morning.

Here are some more results for you lovely people to take a gander at:
Best download speed:

Earliest date I can go back to showing issues:

Last time I had got a good speed:
Bright
Grafter

So the line was sync-ed at a rate that must have been about 25% higher last week. But it looks like it has been up and down quite a bit over the past week to 10 days.
I wonder if your Plusnet profile is set to the same as your BT IP profile (it should be). You can check it here (you need to log in to the Members Centre first though).
The fact that your throughput is so low (compared to your current BT IP profile), and you've experienced that low throughput outside peak hours does suggest there is a different fault going on.
It would be worth keeping an eye on your BT IP profile at intervals to see if that's now stable, in the meantime PN may well ask you to log this as a fault... let's see what they say.
A swarm of BT vans around your cabinet is often a bad omen  Embarrassed
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Would it be also possible if you could run through our faults checker as http://faults.plus.net so we can look into this further. I'll get this picked up first thing in the morning.
Kathyrn64
Dabbler

Thanks for the helpful advice again Bright!
I think this is the relevant info from that page?
Estimated line speed:
17Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-01-24 22:12:18
Current line speed:
18.3 Mb
Sure thing Chris, I'll give that a go, thanks for assisting me guys.
Edit: I wont be able to try that direct to modem dial up connection thing until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest - will you still be able to look at things? I'd have to use my laptop too as I'm currently on a gigantic tower on the first floor of the house!/b]
Bright
Grafter

Yep. So your Plusnet profile matches the BT one, which is good. Fingers crossed it's something that can be pinned down and fixed quickly!
Kathyrn64
Dabbler

Here's hoping!
If it helps I've just been struck by the dastardly BT Openreach error for the last 10 minutes or so.
SERVICE INFORMATION
Close Window

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your browser and Internet applications before attempting to reconnect.
    The BTWholesale access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down.
    Your service should be resumed soon.
    Or
    You are testing your local connection to BT using
    'bt_test_user@startup_domain'
    Or
    You are testing your connection to your Service Provider using 'bt_test_user@domain' where domain is your Service Provider domain name.
    Or
    Your Service Provider is currently unable to accept your connection request please wait until service is restored or contact your Service Provider for further information.
    Or
    You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain.
It seemed to resolve itself within the span of about 10 minutes but it can persist for a much greater period of time.
It's strange though because once again (and I double checked) I could continue to stream Spotify, connect to a games sever and was able to access websites through my favourites (e.g. Amazon) that were not accessible via Google search (which still worked but the page link in the search results (in this case Amazon.co.uk) prompted that error.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you using the Netgear or Thomson router?
ITGeek123

Hi starting from yesterday my speed has been running on dial up speed! My phones internet is quicker than it! I don't know why because I have only been with Plus net for only a month and the speeds were FANTASTIC until yesterday! What is going on?? I thought it was my download but im on a unlimited package and my download for the month was only 168gb. I have been re downloading my games via Steam and streaming on Netflix. As you can see in the picture I was getting nice speeds downloading a game via Origin. From 1Mbs to about 0.30kb/s... Discusting!
Kathyrn64
Dabbler

Hey Chris,
The router that is in use is the Netgear N150 supplied by you guys.
Can I just once again add that I'm very grateful for your continued help - particularly at this hour!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If this is happening on more than one device then you'd need to login to your router and enter the DNS address manually.