Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another broadband speed issue

pabloeldiablo
Dabbler

Yet another broadband speed issue

Hi PlusNet,
I've had my PN fibre broadband installed 3 months ago and I can't really fault it (few hours of downtime in total which is not too bad). Speed is pretty much stable and is just over 30Mb - please see the results below. The only problem I got is that when I was signing up I was told the estimated speed will be around (or 'up to'?) 53Mb which would be like 70% faster than my current speed. Can this be checked and hopefully tweaked so I will get the speed I was promised. Monthly charge should vary depending on what speed you actually get ;). Here are my stats:
My router is Technicolor TG582n FTTC. PC connected using ethernet cable.
PN account > Connection settings > High Speed Broadband:
Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    36.8 Mb
4 REPLIES 4
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Yet another broadband speed issue

0ms ping - what gamers wouldn't give for that!
You may be on a 40/10 product rather than 80/20 - can you do the "Further Diagnostics" on the BTwholesale speed test and post the results?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi pabloeldiablo,
I've just checked over your line and can see that your modem and cabinet are connecting at 35Mb. It looks like that's the maximum it can connect at (whilst keeping the connection stable).
Unfortunately we don't and can't 'promise' or guarantee speeds as the speeds that are displayed upon sign up are only estimates and are subject to change. You're on the 80/20 product too.
pabloeldiablo
Dabbler

Shame nothing can be done about this, I live in the city centre of Southampton with lots of students living nearby, Is there any way to check if BT has any plans to upgrade the lines? Cheers!!!

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It's not really a case of BT upgrading the line in this instance. The speed loss that's affecting you, it's due to the length of the coppering cabling/wiring between the Fibre Cabinet to your property unfortunately.
If you'd like for us to do further checks for any reason, you're free to complete the Fault Checker at http://faults.plus.net