cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes or no. IP Profile.

Barrytrcy
Grafter

Yes or no. IP Profile.

Pretty fed up now. This is the third thread I have started regarding my speed and IP profile. I have followed what the plusnet staff suggested, I congratulate you on decreasing my IP profile from 3000 to 2000 then up to 2500.
It seems the price paid for the current speed I get is not worth it as I was paying £17.99 for Sky and recieved 3x the speed I get at the moment.
Ever since I moved to plusnet things have gone down, first the router couldn't port forward, not allowing 3/4 of the games I play from time to time to stop working but with skys router they worked flawlessly. Download speed decreased to 400 kB/s from 800 kB/s now the speed has become even slower. Download speed is 266 kB/s now.
I raised a ticket and answered the questions asked, is it plusnets holidays..? Because I haven't heard from the team in the last few days.
Will my speed and download speed be able to match what I had with Sky or am I stuck with this "good honest broadband from yorkshore"  Wink
Plusnets Speed Test:
Download Speed           Upload Speed  
2130 kbps (266kB/s)    321 kbps (40.1kB/s)
BT Speed Test:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1966 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2912 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
Router Stats:
Uptime: 8 days, 1:17:02
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2,912
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 37.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 227 / 3,796
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 96 / 2,517

20 REPLIES 20
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Yes or no. IP Profile.

1. Speeds for any operator using BT are never as good as LLU because of the DLM and IP Profile used by BT.
2. Your noise margin is higher than the default which suggests you have had issues on the line - either errors or frequent disconnects - which the BT systems respond to by raising the target noise margin to stabilise the line. You haven't been rebooting a lot to try and get a better sync I hope!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Barrytrcy
Grafter

I rebooted once, one week ago when plusnet staff told me to.
Days that followed my IP profile decreased from 3000 to 2000 then increased to 2500.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Even with your noise margin at 12+, your sync speed is low for your attenuation, but your IP Profile is appropriate for your current sync.
Have you tried connecting to the test socket inside the master socket to see if that gives a better sync? Are you using a telephone extension lead to connect the router?
Was your old router locked to Sky? If not why didn't you just change the user and login details (also check VPI is 0 and VCI is 38) and continue to use your old router?
Barrytrcy
Grafter

1. Even with your noise margin at 12+, your sync speed is low for your attenuation, but your IP Profile is appropriate for your current sync.
2. Have you tried connecting to the test socket inside the master socket to see if that gives a better sync? Are you using a telephone extension lead to connect the router?
3. Was your old router locked to Sky? If not why didn't you just change the user and login details (also check VPI is 0 and VCI is 38) and continue to use your old router?

1. Anyway to increase my sync speed?
2. Old master socket, we have no test socket behind the panel. We are connected via wireless.
3. Yes it was locked to sky. I have no idea how to unlock or do what you suggested.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Google found http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-flash.html - that might help
I'd like to see a different router tried to see if it syncs at a better speed.
Have you any extension sockets, if so is anything plugged in to them?
Barrytrcy
Grafter

I have this sky router - http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/skyDG934.htm
No I don't have any extensions.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If there is no way you will ever want to use the Sky router again you have nothing to lose by trying to flash it. It's a good router and it would be worth seeing if it gives a better sync than your current router.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Barrytrcy,
I've just had a look at your ticket and one of the questions was asking you to do 3 speed tests. I've just checked the BT systems which log your speed tests and it's only showing one has been done. If you could carry out the other two it will help the faults team find out what's going wrong.
Jojo Smiley
Barrytrcy
Grafter

Circuit Sync Status : Circuit In Sync

Mux Port Status : In Service

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
15                                                       16                     0                  0         83599483 448

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
37                                                       12                   4                       0         1291195116  2912

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
      2500 20        10-10-19T22:26:45                                                       N                       2010-10-13T22:42:51 2272

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status                                                                                                                                                               ServiceOption Update Timestamp
1817                                     O                           1                 THIS LINE IS STABLE AND WITHIN ERROR/RETRAIN LIMITS FOR THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION (ILQ=A) 2008-08-22T04:08:52

Interleaving: 1-WC5YWJ
RADIUS:  5 Days, 15:9:29 (on going)

Kind regards,
[mremoved]
jim:csa
grahamt
Rising Star

I used to have about the same speed as you, and my attenuation's similar (38 downstream). What improved things for me was having the ring wire snipped - but if you used to get much faster speeds with Sky then maybe that's not your problem. It's just that your mention of an old master socket got me thinking that your wiring might not be optimal.
There's a page on the Kitz site that gives details of sockets and how to disconnect the ring wire.
Graham
Barrytrcy
Grafter

Just checked on my ticket, I have no idea whats going on. Seems like they moved my ticket to relevant support team?
Does this mean we will start over in the never ending cycle?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Barrytrcy,
What's happened is they've placed an order to have interleaving on your line to see if it fixes the errors. If that works successful then we'll probably do an SNR reset which should then bring your sync rate up. I'm sorry this wasn't really made clear on your ticket and have fed that back for you.
Jojo Smiley
Barrytrcy
Grafter

Ahhhh ok.
Thanks
Barrytrcy
Grafter

Anynews on the ticket?
Update was due yesterday at 4pm.