Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes, additional speed issues.

Lotusxyx
Grafter

Yes, additional speed issues.

Salutations to PN,
   I'll start by saying that I've not been a customer long, and with that being a case there should be an allowance for some fluctuation in bandwidth as was stated when  I signed up.  I readily accept that, and can move on with it.  However, I'll start by saying that my PN experience started off very shaky indeed.  I was supposed to be activated on the 15th of this month, and due to technical faults I wasn't activated until yesterday morning.  That in itself is bad enough, as that's six whole days where I had neither internet nor broadband that I've paid for in full.  My real concern is that my download speeds are slow.

I know for a fact that people get far slower speeds than mine, but it doesn't mean I should settle for mediocre bandwidth.  I left my previous ISP for the same reasons as this.  When I signed up to PN, I was given an estimate line speed for my postcode.  It stated that I would get an average download speed of 11Mb [fluctuating between 6.5Mb to 15Mb.  Here is a screen shot of the order page.

Checking my account today has shown that this estimate has changed quite significantly.  My new 'estimated line speed' shows an average of 5Mb [fluctuating between 3.5Mb to 7.5Mb].  Needless to say I am not impressed.  Not in the slightest.  The line speed I was additionally estimated was a huge selling point to me, coming from such poor bandwidth beforehand.  All I would like is an explanation as to why I was lead to believe I would be averaging 11Mb?  Of course, at the moment my download speeds are appalling, I would settle for even a slight increase or at least some stability.  Can I ever expect to see the download speeds I was originally estimated?  Perhaps what's more important, can I ever expect to see regular download speeds at what is currently estimated?  I don't think I've ever performed a speed test which has shown 5Mb.
I would also appreciate it if it's possible to improve my upload speed.  I've seen elsewhere that you need to be on ADSL2, which I think I am, and that the upload speed needs to be 'unlocked'.  Any further information on this would be very helpful.  Thanks for your time.
59 REPLIES 59
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Yes, additional speed issues.

Could you post back to this topic answers to the questions in this post please: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lotusxyx
Grafter

Information as requested:
Uptime: 0 days, 12:37:03
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 15,800 / 9,856
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,823
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 54.29 / 567.72
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 8.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 146 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 917,503 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 56 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 752 / 1,736,501
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 107 / 15,608,159
I'm waiting on Java to download (internet speed...) before I can perform a BT speed test, although I can easily provide a speedtest.net result, as shown above.  My Account says line speed equates to 5.5Mb.  
*EDIT*  Results from BT speedtest:

It shows my current download speed as 1258Kbps out of a max 7150Kbps.  Obviously, only a fraction of what I could potentially have.  In this day and age, it shouldn't take me hours to buffer a 20 minute standard definition video.  Nor should it be so difficult to watch a simple stream...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You don't need to upload screen shots to image shack. If you open up the additional options when composing a post you can attach images directly to your posts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I can't actually read the results in that Imageshack image. You can copy paste just the results text from the BT speedtest which is perfectly adequate.
Are you using a wired or wireless connection to the router?
Lotusxyx
Grafter

The connection is wired directly to the router, my apologies for the poor images,  I'll use the function within the forums now ^^. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What operating system do you have on your PC?
Edit: If it's XP can you run the tweak test as advised here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96725.msg815982.html#msg815982 - you'll need to enter your speed as 8000
Lotusxyx
Grafter

I'm running windows 7.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

OK - that self tunes the RWIN which is the critical factor.
I'm running out of ideas here given that your IP Profile is good.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

When I signed up to PN, I was given an estimate line speed for my postcode.  It stated that I would get an average download speed of 11Mb [fluctuating between 6.5Mb to 15Mb

Ok, you misunderstand what the estimate you were given actually meant. Broadband speed varies according to line length, your postcode enabled an 'estimate' of line length which gave a nominal speed of 11Mb with a margin of error meaning that the actual speed could well be anything between 6.5Mb and 15Mb.  Your current synch speed appears to be 8823K and the IP Profile 7150K which in reality is within the margin of error quoted.
Ok, given that, you still don't seem to be achieving anything like the throughput that your 7150K profile ought to be giving you.
This
My Account says line speed equates to 5.5Mb.
is concerning, that should be the same as your IP Profile.
Also those error counts
CRC Errors (Up/Down):  752 / 1,736,501
HEC Errors (Up/Down):  107 / 15,608,159
are a bit high for 12 hours uptime and your SNR target looks like its been upped from 6db to 9db indicating some noise on the line.
Is your router connected to the Master socket and do you have any extension sockets ?
Can you connect to the Test socket and post the router stats ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Also, is absolutely everything else plugged in to any extension filtered (Sky boxes are the ones most often forgotten).
Lotusxyx
Grafter

Yes, everything has a filter (SKY box included).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Lotusxyx,
Did you make any changes last night at about 11.30? It seems to have settled down a lot since then. once your 10 day training period is over we could investigate further if necessary. As for your estimated line speed, I don't see why we shouldn't get close to 9-10Mbps.
Jojo Smiley
Lotusxyx
Grafter

The only changes I made were to open two ports (at about 10:30pm) last night.  I did that to try and improve my connection speed on Fifa 11 for the PS3.  Like some others, I'm having some harsh connection issues with the PS3 :/.  Seems to be better than many, but far from ideal.  I'm more than willing to wait until the training period is over before making further enquiries.  Just hoping it's not like this forever, that's all ^^.  Thanks for the time and effort guys, the customer service here is really good.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Lotusxyx
Just hoping it's not like this forever, that's all

no, we'll get it sorted for you Smiley