cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox Live not syncing. Gaming impossible.

moarjin
Grafter

Xbox Live not syncing. Gaming impossible.

As the title says.
For the last month or so, syncing cloud saves on xbox live takes FOREVER. I'm not exaggerating either; most attempts fail due to time-outs. If they do succeed, it takes about 20 re-tries and will take around 20 minutes to get the data.
We're talking about a maximum of a few megabytes here (in most cases a few kilobytes), and is something that used to take maybe 5 seconds at the most!
This isn't the first set of problems I've had with Plusnet. After 8 years of flawless service with BT, Talk Talk & Sky, I regret my move to this service every day.
After weeks of trying, I gave up trying to get my line speed back after I switched, I now just live with awful reliability, where networks simply refuse to "talk to each other" (like this xbox live issue), despite there being nothing wrong with my line and line speed.
Now I'm stuck in a contract I can't get out of.
Thinking about just writing it all off and getting another Line put in from BT or whoever.  Cry
15 REPLIES 15
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Re: Xbox Live not syncing. Gaming impossible.

Hi, so I have checked your connection on your line and run some tests. Now I can see that  your upload speed is 0.1mbps and this will mean there are limits to what you upload and how fast it will take to do this. Now what you have mentioned is a big stretch for the capabilities of your connection.
cedlor
Grafter

@ moarjin  Please can you post your routerstats and  current speed as per  the link at the bottom of my post.
@Ben B  Is that supposed to be an answer?  you appear to have stated the obvious, but a US of 0.1 is US
what are you suggesting could be the reason for it falling from the 0.7 he had in April? and what can he try to
improve it.
moarjin
Grafter

Ben B:
Um, yeah, thanks for that, but how about some actual help?
I am paying for this "service" after all  Roll_eyes
cedlor:
Cheers for the reply  Smiley
Router stats won't mean much right now since my connection dropped and I reset the router to try and reconnect.
I'll post some later on when they show something meaningful.
In the mean time, I've changed my DNS to Google to see if it's a DNS problem.
moarjin
Grafter

cedlor:
The link in your sig just tells me 3.3Mb. Nothing more (no estimates or US)
Router stats:
(interleaving just now is 16. Normally 32. Has been as high as 64)
Errors are quite low due to reset. Normally enormous numbers.
cedlor
Grafter

Yes it does only show the DS but at least it is the same ballpark as the router.
The speeds on there dont look too bad at the moment - can you do the BTW wholesale line test
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and complete the 'further diagnostics' section to see what that profile is set at?
and if that looks similar try  and do something with the xbox.
Could it be just certain times of the day when it is bad - evening it is sometimes congestion
though perhaps  as its school holidays that could be anytime. During the day  maybe
external interference -hence the high error rate, which slows throughput.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi, this is just based on the estimate for your line but I can see that the SNR is a bit high on your upstream. We can reset this for you just let us know if this is something you would like us to do.
moarjin
Grafter

Look, do whatever to make my internet work again.

Since Xbox live is pointless I decided to try World of Warrant last night. The lag was ridiculous!
I'd use an ability and the server would take anywhere from 5-30 seconds to respond.
And yet, every time I say anything, the response is the same, "I've run some tests and it's fine". CLEARLY it's not fine!

I used to have perfect internet at a steady ~4.8Mb download and around 0.8Mb up. I had that for about 6 or 8 years, with TalkTalk and then Sky.
I immediately lost almost 1.5Mb/s when I switched to PlusNet. I now get about 3.3Mb on a good day, but that's unusable.

I've done some research and discovered that TalkTalk and Sky both have their own hardware installed in my exchange, whereas PlusNet don't, meaning they lease BT hardware.
Since the ONLY thing to have changed on my line is the equipment at the exchange (swapped out from Sky's hardware to BT's), there's obviously something wrong at the exchange that needs looking at. But all I get is "I've run some tests and it's fine"

I'm fed up with this cr@p!

The only reason I came to PlusNet was because of the cheap internet deal. You get what you pay for I guess. Lesson learned.
If you can't or won't fix it, then I want to know how much it'll cost me to get out of this contract that I'm lumbered with and go back to sky.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Ben,
A warm welcome to the forums. Did I miss an announcement of a new member of the CRT?
Edit:  oops, no announcement missed, rather not much practise on the forums from you Ben since you joined CRT at the start of March this year ... Just 34 posts to date made me think you'd joined at the start of August, that is this week!  Embarrassed
I respectfully suggest that this issue needs more consideration.  The SNRM for both US and DS is higher than 'normal', the question which needs to be explored is why?  If there is an issue with the line, the user's domain or local interference (rein), doing a SNRM reset is not likely to be a viable 'fix' here.
What does the VR plot suggest?  What is the line's error history?  What does the CLT report?  What is the SNRM history?

@morajin,
This has all the hallmarks of a line speed issue, for which there are a number of potential causes.  The higher than normal SNRM values are indicative of two quite different problems.  Either a line fault (comparatively easy to address) or electrical interference (REIN) which is quite hard to investigate even without the unhelpful limitations of the 2704n diagnostic capability.  Let's eliminate line issues first.
Can you please read the speed issues thread (link below) and check out your internal wiring.  You might already have done this, but it needs confirming here ready for the possibility of a BTOR engineer call out and thereby you needing to mitigate the risk of a fault found in user equipment charge.
Specifically, is the router connected to the master socket?  Do you have a master socket with a removable lower face plate?  If yes, can you please remove it (note what wires are attached to it) and plug the router into the exposed sicket and repost the stats immediately.
Is there noise on the phone line?  Using a corded phone in the master socket, dial 17070 option 2 it should be near enough silent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

moarjin
Grafter

@Townman
Cheers for your reply.
I've covered all those steps countless times before. Indeed, the faceplate is off, and has been off for months. The router is connected directly to the socket behind it. It's been off for so long, I put the faceplate on top of the router so I don't lose it.
There's no extension cables. Tried multiple filters. There's nothing electrical next to, or between the router and the master socket. There's no noise on the line (that I can hear anyway).

The only thing that has changed since I moved to PlusNet is the hardware the line is connected to at the exchange.

I did a speed test this morning, before anyone was up. There was no activity on the router (wired or wireless), so nothing was using bandwidth. At 7am, which I wouldn't consider peak time, I got 2.6Mb/s. More depressingly, I checked with BT, and they estimated my attainable line speed was 2Mb. Less than half of what it's been for years.

I'll post a router stat page in a bit.
moarjin
Grafter

New router stats page:
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK, I think you need to keep a careful watch on these stats.  The reported synch speed is not quite what I'd expect on a 51dB attenuated line, but it is not way off - circa 750k - the profile figure for the reported synch speed should be 3.42Mbps (BT) and 3.4Mbps (PN).
Profile speed = synch speed * 88.2%
Even if you assumes that usable data speed is 90% of the profile figure, you ought to be seeing data speed tests just over 3Mbps.
Can you please run the BTw speed test - further diagnostics (do not reboot the router) and obtain your PN 'current speed' link below.
Do inbound calls have any impact on the bb operation?

@CRT,
has a CLT been done recently here please?  What is the line balance like?  What's the error history - anything untoward?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Test results on the way...
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Profile:
WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 9dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Attenuation: 51.5
SNR: 7.1
Sync: 3872
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  1607
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds):  42580 
Indicative Line Quality:  A
Copper Line Test: Inconclusive (No results shown)
Doing a standalone line test isn't showing any problems either.

Just on a whim I decided to have a look at the usage history, are you sure there isn't anything using your connection in the background? The reason I ask it that at the speeds posted in this thread some of the usage on the days wouldn't be achievable. Since the 5th we've seen days of 23GB, 16GB, 18GB and 13GB which on a line in sync it 3872 are pretty high figures.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Nice call, real out of the box thinking... wonder if the others reporting very slow data speeds have the same sympton?  That is a very interesting observation - shame the 2704n router does not record (or is that disclose) data transferred.
Number fascinate me ... Looking at that 16GB figure for upload and down load volume, if we assume decimal Gigs and only 8 bits to shift a byte, then that's a continious 24 hours at 1481481.48148148 bits of data transferred evey second (1.48Mbps solid for 24 hours).
Either something is hammering the link or something is wrong with the utilisation recording.
Line figures really are inconclusive - MTBE is quite good, however the line is reporting Amber, the current SNRM is lower than the target, somewhat suggesting the presence of interference.  Shame the 2704n will not work with any of the very useful diagnostic monitoring tools. Shocked
@morajin,
Take a look here - https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php?&strAction=PERIOD#history_three_month - to see if the usage break down gives any hints as to what is utilising the Internet.
An you be certain that noting is using your internet?  I would suggest switching it off over night before midnight until after 6am and then take another look at the usage graph.  It ought to be zero.
Do you by chance have a PC trying to do a win10 download?  That's a chunky download!