Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong profile on Plusnet fibre

SoccerTees
Dabbler

Wrong profile on Plusnet fibre

Hi
My Plusnet fibre just went live a few minutes ago (switching from Sky Fibre). However, I seem to be on the wrong profile - 40/20?
Could you please reset it to the correct 80/20 profile. Spoke with someone on the phone and they advised it can't be done before 10 days due to DLM. Think he was confusing it with ADSL.
Also, is there any possibility of turning the interleaving off to improve my latency or to be put on fastpath.
Thanks  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
SoccerTees
Dabbler

Re: Wrong profile on Plusnet fibre

Seems to have settled on a better speed, however I can definitely get higher.
Speedtest.net shows:

However, I can get:

So any possibility of nudging my profile up please.
Also, the ping is really really bad. Any way we can make that better?
Thanks.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

what do you get if you ping bbc.co.uk?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SoccerTees
Dabbler

Quote from: w23
what do you get if you ping bbc.co.uk?

Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi SoccerTees,
Your profile on our side is at 78000 so it's not being slowed down by us. As it's newly installed though it will take a couple of days to settle down.
Regarding the pings, 30ms certainly isn't a high ping and shouldn't be causing any problems with your use of the service. Where is it you're noticing the high pings - on any particular protocols or sites, and if so how is it affecting your use of the service?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Does look a bit higher than others get on fibre (I know mine's interleaved both down and up but my ping's nearly 10ms lower than that) - though as Matt says it shouldn't really be noticable as long as it's consistent (except on tests!).
Unfortunately Plusnet (same as any other ISP using BT based FTTC) cannot change interleaving status (not without a BT engineer anyway) as no control on the cabinet DLM is available to ISPs.
Your speeds are actually pretty good (the throughput will never be as high as the sync speed or 'line rate' as the checker puts it).  If the line remains stable with low error rates for a good while the cabinet DLM will switch to fastpath.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SoccerTees
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Hi SoccerTees,
Your profile on our side is at 78000 so it's not being slowed down by us. As it's newly installed though it will take a couple of days to settle down.
Regarding the pings, 30ms certainly isn't a high ping and shouldn't be causing any problems with your use of the service. Where is it you're noticing the high pings - on any particular protocols or sites, and if so how is it affecting your use of the service?

I haven't tested it with any games etc but there's a slight lag while using facetime with someone in Australia.
I was with Sky fibre till this morning and I was consistently getting between 13-15 ms pings. This is double that.
Any idea on how to get this down or should I wait for a couple of days and then check again?
Thanks.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

slight lag while using facetime with someone in Australia.

I'm not surprised!
32ms is tiny, you wouldn't notice a difference between 15ms and 32ms in reality.
The ping *may* decrease, but to be honest the line is performing well within expectations.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
SoccerTees
Dabbler

I'm sorry but this is just unacceptable and not what I signed up for. I want it fixed NOW !!

Just kidding. Hopefully it will improve in a few days/weeks else as Chris said, not really a huge difference between 15 and 30ms and barely, if at all, noticeable.
Thanks everyone for your help and input
  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Running speedtest.net tests on Australian servers and comparing the latency when running on UK servers suggests a 300ms latency overhead. Compared to that, the difference between 15 and 30 is totally insignificant!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SoccerTees
Dabbler

Yeah. Just tested and hopefully the DLM will set it right. Else no big loss.
Just tried a download on usenet and getting a constant 9MB/s over wifi. Might even increase when the speed settles in a couple of days.
Happy Days  Grin