cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong line activated in house

Louismoodie
Hooked

Wrong line activated in house

I recently joined plusnet, previously I had two lines in my house, one was with sky and the other with talktalk.

I always had issues with the sky line, they accepted there was an issue but when it was “resolved” much the same issues occurred again.
I cancelled talktalk a couple of months back, and cancelled sky a month ago.
When signing up, I did not provide my old number for sky, as I was hoping that would mean the lines would become ceased, and an engineer would come out to connect my plusnet up.

Unfortunately that did not happen.

Is there anyone that can assist with this?

My main faults with the line it’s inherited is, jitter and slowed sync speeds.
This line is sitting at 64mb down, which did go to 69mb for 2 days before DLM kicked it back to 64mb.
My other line sat at 80mb constant, no jitter either.

I was told there was an issue with the cable between the telephone pole and the end of the road, however it is buried cable so a special team would have to dig the cable to fix the issue (I never saw the road touched but openreach previously reported as fixed)

I could get this line investigated again but the easiest fix would be to switch the line that is being used from cabinet to master socket.

Thanks in advance.
34 REPLIES 34
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Wrong line activated in house

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Louismoodie As you cancelled the TalkTalk line first, it is highly likely - after two months - that BT will have re-provisioned it on another customers connection, leaving only the SKY one available to Plusnet.

John
Louismoodie
Hooked

Possibly, but I have seen 2 moves to virgin since the line was d/c’d 2 months ago, from properties on the same pole.

I literally just want the other pair from my drop wire connected to my line at the cabinet, I know one line has some damage/fault and the other seemed near perfect! Sad
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Louismoodie 

Are you sure you've got two physical cables running to your house?

The OpenReach cable probably has 3 pairs of twisted wires, each of which can be used to provide a phone line.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@Louismoodie wrote:
Possibly, but I have seen 2 moves to virgin since the line was d/c’d 2 months ago, from properties on the same pole.

I literally just want the other pair from my drop wire connected to my line at the cabinet, I know one line has some damage/fault and the other seemed near perfect! Sad

I may possibly be wrong here - someone with more knowledge of the BT infrastructure may correct me - but the connection to your 'good' line may have already been reused, as I inferred in my previous reply, sorry I wasn't more explicit.

John
Louismoodie
Hooked

Hi Brian, hopefully can clear up any questions here:

I have 1 drop wire, using two pairs.
Across the road at the pole, I was using 2 completely separate lines back to cabinet.

All I know is the physical line that I’m using now was tested before due to faults.
And the engineer from OR found that the line had no issues at the end of the road when he tested at that point. (Man hole area, not sure the correct name)
From there he then tested at bottom of pole and there was a fault, so he knew the cable had some sort of degradation or fault between end of road and telephone pole.

The other line I was using had no issues when tested at same points.

I was told the cable was going to be repaired but the road was going to need to be dug up (which never happened)

The only way I was able to get sky previously to accept a fault, was I had 2 lines simultaneously, one at 50mb and one at 80mb.
I fear I won’t get an engineer visit for the current line as it sits above the guaranteed speed.
jab1
Legend

@Louismoodie wrote:
Hi Brian, hopefully can clear up any questions here:

The only way I was able to get sky previously to accept a fault, was I had 2 lines simultaneously, one at 50mb and one at 80mb.
I fear I won’t get an engineer visit for the current line as it sits above the guaranteed speed.

I thought one line was SKY, the other TT - in which case you would have two cables from your pole and two drop-wires.

John
Louismoodie
Hooked

Most certainly one drop wire, the openreach guy was more inclined to try the existing spare pairs before pulling another wire across from the pole.
jab1
Legend

If you were using the services of TT and SKY at the same time (as inferred), you would HAVE to have two lines. The same would apply if you had two services from the same provider (as later inferred) - a phone line can only have one broadband account on it.

John
bmc
Hero

I'm not technically minded but I thought you could have two lines from the same drop wire - each uses a different twisted pair.

Two lines at the house, one drop wire and then two connections at the chamber.

Brian

jab1
Legend

@bmc You may be correct, but I think you would then be paying for two phone lines - you can only have one phone/broadband circuit on one phone number.

I may have got some of the detail slightly wrong, and the forum member who could explain it correctly doesn't seem to post these days.

John
Louismoodie
Hooked

I have 1 drop wire, inside the drop wire is multiple pairs, I’m not sure how many.
One pair was connected to my sky line at the time at the pole.
The talktalk line was connected to another pair at the pole.
From pole to cabinet was 2 independent cables.
jab1
Legend

So you were paying for two phone connections - as you can only have one phone/broadband circuit on one phone line? Still doesn't sound quite correct to me, as I know two of my neighbours have had two phone connections at the same time - one paid by them, one by their employer, and it both cases this necessitated two connections in to their property.

John
bmc
Hero

@jab1 

Given the OP would notice a second drop wire I think we can assume I got it right for that property. However, I'm happy to accept that OR could well put in a second drop wire if required. This is beyond my technical knowledge.

Going back on topic a bit, if the faulty wire is from the pole to the cabinet then the "good" wire may or may not still be available. The OP pointed out speeds are above the handback threshold so I think it's unlikely they'd get another engineer out.

Brian