cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong download profile assigned to the line.

RickK
Grafter

Wrong download profile assigned to the line.

Hi guys.
I tried to call up yesterday and got told that this is normal as I am in my "10 day training period". Now I am no networking guru, but I do work with computers on a daily basis, so I have some understanding.  
In the passed I have had BT and the OR Engineer just reset the IP profile so it shows the correct information upon running the btwholesale speed test again.
I have just ran the test again and it still shows me set to the 40 Down profile instead of the 80 (see attached image)
Is this something you forum guru's can do? Not had a great experience with the initial migration to PN, so I am hoping this is something that can be done..
Regards,
Rick
Edit: I will add that my upload went from 10 to 20 straight away after the switch, so something has happened;
Date Average (Mbps)
30/07/2013 17.07
29/07/2013 16.86
28/07/2013 8.63
27/07/2013 8.55
26/07/2013 8.66
25/07/2013 8.68
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wrong download profile assigned to the line.

Two things
- there isn't a 10 day learning period on fibre so you were being given duff info
- there are only two Plusnet products - 80/20 and 40/10 - and as your upstream is 20Mbps you should be on the 80/20 however getting a sync speed of exactly 40Mbps would indicate that you are on 40/20
RickK
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
I was expecting something like that. As it was a fibre to fibre migration too, I wondered why there would be the "training period" but nevermind that.
I am quite for from the exchange but the initial test showed I should get about 51Mbps, so that is still quite a large improvement over the 38 Smiley
Hopefully someone from PN can also confirm this information. And thank you for providing this info!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As it was a fibre to fibre migration (presumably you were on 40 before) there is an extremely good change that BT screwed it up and you are limited to 40 downstream - this may require an engineer visit to the cab to sort out - it will be interesting to here what the experts say
RickK
Grafter

I see why you use a Gandalf avatar  Roll_eyes
Yeah, it could well be the case, I will stop the next openreach van I see on the way home and have a word  Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oldjim might think he's Gandalf, but does he have the T-shirt ?
RickK
Grafter

That is actually quite amusing Purleigh Smiley
Just hope Adam catches this post during his daily swooping of the forum.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RickK - You could send Adam a PM and point him to your request in this thread.
I'm hoping Oldjim catches the T-shirt post during his daily swooping of the forum.  Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
@RickK
I've just dug further into this for you, we did order the right product for you initially (i.e the up to 80mb variant) so the reason you're connecting at the speeds you are is due to profiling rather than being provisioned incorrectly on the wrong product.
To explain in more detail you're on a banded FTTC connection and you're connecting right at the top of that banding (i.e around the 40mb mark) so unless speeds were to exceed that the banding would remain in place.
I hope that's not too much of a dissapointment and that this helps explain how FTTC speeds around that range are determined.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RickK
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for looking into it, I am glad that the correct product is selected, but I don't understand the banding concept. I did a quick google and found;

So are you saying my line is simply only able to use 40 and no higher? Even though the initial line test was estimated to be 51?
Regards,
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi RickK,
The simplest way I believe to understand this is that the profiling system puts in place a minimum and a maximum speed (that's the banding part) this is done to make sure the connection remains stable and doesn't develop any faults. As the actual speed that your line is capable of (I know it may disappoint a little but these can sometimes be a little under the original estimate) is right at the top of that bracket meaning the maximum speed the line is able to achieve with in the banded range is 40mb. If for some reason the sync speed was able to exceed that we'd be able get that banding removed.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
RickK
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I just wanted to provide an update on this for anyone else that has this issue.
My assumption was correct about the wrong download profile being used. The support staff have been helpful although they seem quite busy as I have yet to receive a further response. Feel free to look at the ticket 72911367
Have a great week.
Regards,
Rick
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Your phone order is complete and marked as such, same with the 80/20 upgrade - hope you do see an improvement on that, though I suspect any downstream improvements won't be all that huge. The upstream should be a fair bonus though Smiley
RickK
Grafter

Hi Matt,
The funny part is that the upload was done on the migration, just the download didn't change. And I did just get a text to confirm the phone line.
If you provided a push on this then many thanks Smiley
Have a nice evening.
Regards,
Rick
RickK
Grafter

Right, another update.. when I called about the down speeds it has been passed to the faults team... because of the call I have to wait an additional 72 hours.
Matt, Adam or whomever could this please be looked into, as this post is even over 2 weeks old