cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong IP address showing for printer

Mav
Fixes: 514

Wrong IP address showing for printer

Using the Thomson TG582n under W7 64 bit.
I have just installed the printer driver for the Brother HL-2250DN laser printer.
When setting up the driver I gave the IP address of 192.168.1.31 but noted that the router displays the IP address of 68 and DHCP assigned.
Initially I could not get the printer to show as online until I entered 192.168.1.68 into FF and set the IP address explicitly as 31 using the printer's interface.
Printer works well but the router is still showing the printer as 192.168.1.68 rather than 31. How do I get the router to show the correct (static) IP address for the printer?
Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES 9
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Wrong IP address showing for printer

Try pinging the printer from the router.  This should reset the ARP table.
Mav

I'm assuming you mean to open a Command Prompt window (as administrator) and enter ping 192.168.1.31?
This I have done but get the error:
'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pwatson
Rising Star

No, initiate a ping from the router to the printer.  You may need to telnet into the router to try this [I don't use the TG582n so can't be sure it supports it]
Alternatively, does the printer have any kind of 'check for new firmware' function?  What you're trying to do is get some communication going between the router and the printer so they 'see' each other.
amcclean
Rising Star

In your router you could try assigning a specific IP address to the printer. I have done this for my wireless printer so I always know the IP address to make changes.
Mav

Can you do that with the TG582n? I haven't seen how.
Today I deleted the printer from the list of devices, turned the printer off for a few seconds then back on again. Now it doesn't show at all in the list of devices. I can still print  to it and can access the printer's home and other pages by entering 192.168.1.31.

pwatson
Rising Star

If you're happy to allocate an IP via DHCP you can either set the router to 'always use this address' to 'lock' the address that the printer is offered or use this guide to specify the address yourself.
Mav

The main thing at the moment is the Brother is not showing up in the router's list of devices.
I did try the guide but fell down as I just get the error 'telnet' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I have Telnet Client ticked in the list of Window's features.

pwatson
Rising Star

Is there a particular reason that you need the printer to show up on router's device list?  Assuming you're not going to set a port forward to be able to access it in some way from the internet it really doesn't matter...
Mav

As the printer appears to be working well and your comment seems to suggest that not showing in the list of devices should not be an issue then I will leave it alone.
I was concerned that it could have been a symptom of some other problem not yet discovered.
Thanks for your help Smiley