cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong IP Profile set??

tonycollinet
Grafter

Wrong IP Profile set??

Some time ago, I had SNR reset on my line. The speed did not improve, and the SNR Remained stuck at around 9db down (see below). Plusnet staff confirmed that my target SNR was 3 and couldn't tell me why it was still sat at 9. Previously my connection speed was around 19mb/s
I've lived with it for a few weeks, but would like to get it resolved now.
I've just done a BT Further diagnostics check, which confirms that the IP Profile is set at 13.54 - does this need to be increased?

Thanks.
ROUTER STATS
Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 34882563
Lan Rx : 25159701
ADSL Tx : 2642597
ADSL Rx : 3215256
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 70
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 5956
HEC Down : 265
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 6.2
SNR Down : 8.7
Line Attenuation Up : 9.6
Line Attenuation Down : 15.0
Data Rate Up : 1050
Data Rate Down : 15349
BT DIAGNOSTICS
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
12.88 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.54 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.55 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.55Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wrong IP Profile set??

The IP profile is correct for your sync speed
Regarding the default noise margin I have no idea
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi tonyAtplus,
The IP Profile is correct, the problem is the actual sync rate. The IP Profile is completely dictated by it. (88.2% of your sync rate)
If you take a look at http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-speed/ and look at the graph, you'll see that with your Line Attenuation of 15db, we'd expect sync of around 19Mb - you've stated this in your above post I appreciate.
Here's your profile setting: WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 3dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (Scroll down the page that I linked above for info on this bit).
So your SNR Target is 3db, but your SNR is 8.8db at the time of my testing, so something is causing interference. The higher the SNR, the lower your sync rate will be.
First thing we need is a Fault Report, if you could raise one at http://faults.plus.net and ensure that you carry out the necessary checks, just to rule out any local interference that'd be great. The tricky part might be when we speak to our suppliers, they may simply state that the line is operating within their appropriate, however, it's worth us seeing what we can do for you.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Can it be relevant that when I call home and someone answers - there is crackling on the line for about a second which then clears?

I've started the fault checking process, but will have to start again when no1 son is not in the middle of a game.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

That's fine with regards to raising the fault.
Our testing will spot any issue on your phone line. I've just run a quick check on your line but it's not spotted anything - would be handy to know if that happens without the router connected.