cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong IP Profile at BT Exchange - 2Mbps IP profile with 8Mbps sync speed

mjbennett

Wrong IP Profile at BT Exchange - 2Mbps IP profile with 8Mbps sync speed

Hello
I have recently (finally!) had my phone line and broadband working after a month of waiting for Openreach to sort themselves out. Hardly good service, but I appreciate that is beyond Plusnet's ability to do anything about.
My sync speed is about 8Mbit and this is confirmed on BT's speed tester. Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck with a 2Mbps IP profile, which has lasted well over 24 hours.
I've called Plusnet's tech support who claim there is nothing they can do about it (which seems strange).
Can anyone who knows what they're talking about confirm that this is beyond PlusNet's ability to resolve. Because that being the case I believe I may have grounds to cancel my service and try some other provider.
Many thanks
11 REPLIES 11
DJ1UK
Grafter

Re: Wrong IP Profile at BT Exchange - 2Mbps IP profile with 8Mbps sync speed

Hi
Yes it can take up to 5 days for your IP profile to be increased again at the exchange.  There is nothing that Plusnet or BT can do for this, its an automatic process;
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#IPprofile_increase_time
I'm in the same boat, hoping mine will increase in a few days and that the line stays stable
Good luck.
mjbennett

jhw, thank you for your reply
According to the link you've given me (I had already seen it, thank you), as an uplift of 2Mbps to 8 Mbps is approximately a 400% increase the IP profile should have gone up within 4 hours. It's now been over 24 hours with no change.
It would appear, therefore, that I either have a "stuck" IP profile or there has been some issue with provisioning. I would hope someone might be able to shed some light on the subject...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Pro0bably stuck - you could try phoning but it may need the staff on here to sort it - probably not until Monday
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

How long have you been connected? because if it's less than 48 hrs it probably won't change until then.
Anotherone
Champion

Just to expand on this, on a 20CN connection which it sounds as though you are on, the BT IP Profile is set at 2Mbps for the first 2 days IIRC.
If you could post your stats, login into your modem/router and under DSL Connection, click View more ..... as shown here and then Details on the top RHS. Just Copy and Paste the information into a post.
That'd give us an idea as to what's happening as well as posting the results from the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
mjbennett

This is a screenshot from my MODEM and the speed test.
Looks like a very healthy SNR and the line is syncing at 8Mbps. I live about 100 metres from the exchange, to be fair, so I wasn't expecting line noise to be a big issue...
Again, it seems to be an IP Profile issue.
Anotherone
Champion

Those stats are fine as you are aware, and you are obviously provisioned on 20CN. I assume your exchange isn't 21CN enabled.
As I said you need to be synced for more than 48hrs on the first connection on 20CN before the Profile will rise. I don't know if the stats from the Draytek are showing 10 days or 10 hours, if you could confirm. If it's 10 days, then you have a stuck bRAS profile and probably need an SNR reset to hopefully resolve it.
mjbennett

It's 10 hours, I'm afraid.
And yes, my exchange only serves 640 premises, so it seems I won't be seeing any upgrades any thime this century Sad
So you're confirming I have to wait 48 hours from the first connection before the IP Profile goes up?
Anotherone
Champion

It was some while ago when I was in that situation, but yes I had to wait 48hrs. So if it hasn't gone up on Monday post back and one of the DCT (Digital Care Team) will try and sort it out for you. And welcome to the forums by the way.
mjbennett

Thanks for the info, Anotherone. I wasn't aware of this limitation with 20CN provisioning and was getting rather frustrated Smiley
And thank you for the warm welcome! Cheesy
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi mjbennett,
I've just taken a look over your profile and it looks like it's now adjusted to match your sync speeds.
Let me know if you've seen an improvement.