cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would an engineer be able to relocate a master socket for a new customer?

saguaro
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Would an engineer be able to relocate a master socket for a new customer?

A relative has been using flaky and expensive mobile broadband for years because the only phone jack in the house is in an entrance hall with no power outlet for a modem. With the volume of downloads needed nowadays just to keep one computer updated this is becoming increasingly untenable. If they were to sign up for broadband, would an engineer be able to relocate the master socket to somewhere more useful as part of the installation service? Or is the customer expected to lay on power or put in an extension themselves?
11 REPLIES 11
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Would an engineer be able to relocate a master socket for a new customer?

Officially an engineer wouldn't normally move the master socket for you. However, you can always ask him when on site, and hopefully he'd sort it for you (no guarantees).
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
saguaro
Rising Star

Thanks!  Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

But an Openreach engineer wouldn't be visiting your house if ADSL broadband is being activated and there's already a phone line?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I was thinking more in terms of a visit for a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Not only that, but why do you think the router needs to be beside the master socket?  Huh
Have you been reading stuff about FTTC installs and confusing that with ADSL?
It's perfectly feasible and normal to plug an ADSL router into an extension socket, though careful attention to the wiring may be needed to get optimum performance.  Cool
But, yes, BT won't normally run an a extension socket, but it's easy DIY job or get an ADSL-familiar electrician to do it.
saguaro
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce

It's perfectly feasible and normal to plug an ADSL router into an extension socket, though careful attention to the wiring may be needed to get optimum performance.  Cool

I know -- I have to run mine off a very grotty-looking bedroom extension and it works just as well as in the master socket, as I verified when I had a fault. However, all the advice on ADSL seems to indicate that being on the master socket is ideal and they'll make you plug it in there anyway if you have to do fault diagnostics. As the household in question would need some kind of extra wiring to make broadband feasible, I thought maybe moving the master socket would be the way to go, but probably adding an extension would be less disruptive.
HPsauce
Pro

If you have a "proper" NTE5a master socket and add the latest type of BT V3 filtered faceplate to it there are a pair of terminals specifically for running wiring to unfiltered (broadband-capable) extensions.  Wink
saguaro
Rising Star

If you have a "proper" NTE5a master socket

I'd have to check, but I think the master socket is the same 1980s model (with a dotted-T symbol) that I have. Do I understand correctly that it would need an official engineer visit to change that?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There was a recent thread on a similar subject: Move BT master socket - cost?
HPsauce
Pro

It should look like this: If it's the smaller single-piece type then BT "should" regularise it for no charge if it's required for broadband.
Your phone provider can advise on the process for that.
saguaro
Rising Star

If it's the smaller single-piece type then BT "should" regularise it for no charge if it's required for broadband.

Hmmm. I'm fairly sure it isn't one of those. (I guess I missed a trick in my own setup by agreeing that since the phone line was working the engineer didn't actually need to visit, but what I have works fine.) It seems to me that there's no point ordering broadband until an extension is in place, so upgrading the socket would have to happen afterwards? Or at a pinch I suppose the modem could run off a long phone cable (from the 'test' socket?) under the living room door until we got an electrician to do the extension, but that's probably not going to be good for the speed, besides being a trip hazard.