cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

Definitely nothing else was uploading  when i was using FTP ,Speeds where Monitored via Du meter and Everest, which monitor the Lan interface the amount of data uploaded was also lower  during  those hours , Everest shows in throughput in  MB/s  i could see that the speed was inconsistent  ranging from a max of 2.3 /2.4 MB/s down to around 1.2MB/S maybe lower, du meter tends to average out the speed , but that was showing 9mbps at one point briefly ,
The previous 2 nights  have been ok, almost full throughput both upstream and downstream and it's more or less consistent , and looking at the ping monitor there is an improvement in the peak time jitter (Yellow spiking ) in that it's a lot lower than it has been, So a good 2 nights so far ,
But as said  it seems to be Sunday  & Monday  nights  occasionally  Tuesdays  or Wednesdays too,  if ok on a  Sunday
deathtrap
Grafter

Here we are again  it's Sunday night  just after 9 o'clock  (peak time) base latency /jitter showing an increase of 3-4ms  downstream throughput around 90-95% of the max  so 60-65mbps instead of the 74-76mbps my connection is capable of  and the upstream throughput via FTP although running near the max won't max and is showing some degree of inconsistency but not as much as the downstream, I'm convinced this isn't my connection (BT openreach modem & the FTTC cab) aka errors,
This has to be  a BTwholesale issue with capacity to yourselves a internal plusnet issue, or a peering issue(capacity) has this been raise with anyone (like bt wholesale ect ?)
Also i find the small red spike interesting  that appeared at around 7pm  this also is visible on another plusnet customers ping monitor ,so not unique to me, change of internal routing per chance on to a congested pipe perhaps?
Oh and to anyone else who may read this, I'm not being unreasonable  or just having a go, if the quality of service i receive is reliable 24/7 like i have experienced in the past i will say so, just as i have no qualms  in telling how it is good or bad  ,as i'm sure  most will have realised by now. but nothing gets done if you don't do anything about it ,again equally obvious i know
AndyH
Grafter

I had the same spike - which gateway are you on? I'm on pcl-ag06 and in Milton Keynes
deathtrap
Grafter

Yes PCL 06 here too,  and way north of you  what appears to be the first spike which at around 7pm  what actually at least 2 separate spikes within a few minutes of each other (3mins) the first at  seconds before 18:58 and the other seconds before  19:01  and  there was another spike at 22:41 and shortly afterwards things (jitter levels started falling off ) as shown on my ping graph
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you link your graphs again?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Here's mine (ignore the afternoon outage - fw upgrade broke my IPv6):
deathtrap
Grafter

Yesterdays ping graph
deathtrap
Grafter

Update: last night (peak time) downstream throughput was very poor  the upstream wasn't too bad more or less at full speed , I did a few tests with wireshark,
and the tcp connections are marked the same  in both utorrent and http  only the upd are different in utorrent ,the difference in  throughput between normal http and torrents  wasn't a lot, i think there is a possibility that http traffic is being marked incorrectly causing the downstream slowdowns or contributing to them certainly last nights experience, oh i got the BT wholesale speedtest  to offer a tap3 test, and  so matter what i tried it would not connect using the  login given speedtest@speedtest_domain  so i was unable to do the test to rule out plusnet
deathtrap
Grafter

Yet again Sunday night Throttling/bottlenecking  of speeds due to lack of capacity  and nothing is being done to sort it out, maybe time to raise this with  Plusnets  complaints manager , or their ADR  Because trying to get it sorted out  via these forums appears to be falling on deaf ears or tied hands either way it isn't good enough ,
deathtrap
Grafter

Here we are again  both last night and tonight  i once again am getting poor  upstream throughput when uploading using FTP  speed tests, don't really show the problem, but last night it was really poor, below 10mbps !!!! tonight it's fluctuating from 13mbps and 17mbps, will not max  the connection, the downstream was slow as well last nigh, but tonight isnt quite as badly affected, only 5-6mb shy of what i normally get,  Sunday night was surprisingly ok  as was Monday
Have BTW  reported back on this, or has nothing been done about it yet,?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I'll get Dave to check again tomorrow.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
deathtrap
Grafter

I just checked my tbb ping graph for Sunday  and i was wrong Sunday i did see a drop in speed upstream in particular, you can see how the connection starts to max out  whilst i'm uploading using FTP  as it moves out of the peak time window

And last night shows a similar pattern