cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

Well both upstream and downstream where  operating at normal throughput levels until 9.25pm  when the downstream throughput  dropped to 36 Mbps!!!!! briefly  and then upto around 60mbps  this has to be congestion related 
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You may find page 18 of the BTWholesale FTTC Handbook "interesting".
deathtrap
Grafter

Oh i'm aware of how they try and get out of their responsibilities and their get out figure are not realistic or reasonable ,  and it's nothing the big stick won't sort out,  if they want  to supply  FTTC/H services at those headline speeds then they should have the available resources to provide that , if they haven't got such resources then they are misleading everyone, nothing new there then eh? that assuming that this isn't down to Plusnet , and it could be  see the attachment  and the usage peaks at around the same time i had a loss of throughput , 2 co incidences in as many days ? really? i think not
was one reason behind trialling the pro addon  to see if there was any improvement or not, better still the option to switch off the traffic management al together would be even better as it's not needed  on my connection
AndyH
Grafter

If they switched off traffic management, I think we would grind to a halt because of the minority.
I'm on FTTP and have had no issues for a little bit. There have been 2-3 times over the last 12 months where I've had noticeable slow downs due to exchange/BTw capacity issues. As soon as I start seeing speed problems, I am the first to start moaning - kelly will tell you that Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You could look at those Plusnet bandwidth usage graphs, attempt to guess how much bandwidth Plusnet have available in total, then work out how much that is per customer, or how many fast fibre users it would take to use up a significant amount of that bandwidth.
Most ISPs these days seem more interested in sending TV down your line rather than boring Internet data.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

IF there was an issue with capacity on the Plusnet system you'd see the total traffic on the network graphs flatten at the top when capacity is reached - they don't!
http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml#totalTraffic
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
Well both upstream and downstream where  operating at normal throughput levels until 9.25pm  when the downstream throughput  dropped to 36 Mbps!!!!! briefly  and then upto around 60mbps  this has to be congestion related 

Was this FTP?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Of course there's no capacity issues at Plusnet, but the whole system only really works because most people aren't using any bandwidth most of the time. It's always been that way even with ADSL. As for those Plusnet bandwidth graphs, I've never seen them get much higher even when there's supposed to be some big thing for lots of people to download.
I was mainly questioning whether the expectation to always get 100% of your line speed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is realistic. Last time I looked at the rules for advertsing broadband speeds, they included allowances for general slow downs at peak times.
deathtrap
Grafter

Well all can do is quote from personal experience, and that  doesn't recall a daily slowdown of throughput (not by 10-15+Mbps ) caused by a so called peak time ,
So IMO any ISP should have the available resources  to ensure this  for their customer base, looking back at the capacity increase notices the amount they tend to increase IMO is no where near what's really needed  that could be why I'm seeing what i do , Oh and even when those who must download  whatever o/s it happens to be  this week  at the same time  do their thing, or there was a big sporting fixture on the net , there where no service affecting issues experienced by myself, and none of this on forums about it  either , If sorting this and their peering out  so mission creep doesn't occur  would cost us a bit more i would pay for it , i would sooner have a service I'm able to use  all of the time not just  at the times no one else is using it  , after all broadband is an always on service ,
They appear to have  taken more customers than they can comfortably support and that's not just in customer care  but available bandwidth  and peering transit  capacity , ( is this the reason Plusnet are using BT retail peering links ?) it's  now swamped IMO
As for your internet TV   not needed  scrap the idea  iplayer and the others are fine if you want to catch up, but seriously there's very little on the tv at any given time to miss in the first place
AndyH
Grafter

looking back at the capacity increase notices  the amount they tend to increase IMO is no where near what's really needed  that could be why I'm seeing what i do , 

To be fair, I don't know how you have access to this information. The capacity upgrades happen every 2-3 months - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122115.msg1059989.html#msg1059989
To me, it seems like PN are proactive in ensuring there is enough capacity in their network to meet current and future demand. Some ISPs (Sky...) have no been proactive in doing this and have been caught totally flat footed.
There are so many factors that could affect your download/upload speeds. Even before getting to PN's network, you're subject to contention. You're also reliant on there being sufficient bandwidth capacity available on the upstream sites you use.
The only way to guarantee speeds is on a 1:1 connection - but be prepared to have some very deep pockets for this. There is also no control on the upstream peers/hosts with a connection like this, so you probably would never get full line speed to every site or host you use 24/7.
deathtrap
Grafter

4.3Gbps last month will go a long way, how much is that if divided amongst all plusnet 21cn +FTTC/H customers ?
deathtrap
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

Was this FTP?
Quote from: AndyH

Was this FTP?
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
AndyH
Grafter

Ok...here's another example:
GPON - The fibre is split 32 ways with 2.4Gb down, 1.2Gb up - so that's c. 75Mb/37.5Mb each customer, yet OpenReach sell 330/30Mb and 220/20Mb speeds. They are able to do so because they know not everyone will be hammering their connections at the same time.
It's not just a case of dividing the bandwidth PN have by the total number of users. You have to look at the type of users, what they use their connections for etc.
I would put money on less than 0.1% of the total PN users fully saturating their connections on a regular basis.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi deathtrap,
Kelly's just had a word, we reckon there's a fault somewhere, likely at the exchange. That being said, we need to get this investigated as a fault (or at least start fault proceedings off so we can start to push it) - sorry to ask but could you run through the faults wizard so we can push it on? If you let us know when it's done we'll make sure it gets picked up and doesn't go down the standard faults route.
If you're happy to do that, please add in the comments section at the end of the wizard that this is being raised for latency spikes that you suspect are likely caused by an exchange issue and DigiCare, Kelly and Dave need to look into it - that should help it get to us if we don't jump on it first Smiley
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Latency spikes and peak time congestion.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager