cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

deathtrap
Grafter

Re: Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

What's with these double posts and loading of the page once you press the post button why does it hang?
deathtrap
Grafter

Well here we are again another Slow Monday peak time  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3246406029  30 mins later and it's getting worse http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3246482726 And these tests are showing  sightly more than I'm actually getting
Speedtest showing throughput at normal levels just after plusnets usage graph  has peaked and started decreasing http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3246587413
I seriously doubt that plusnet will have to look very far to find where the congestion is, once they admit it's within their own network of course
deathtrap
Grafter

The ticket number for this fault is 80154462
AndyH
Grafter

I ran speed tests at virtually the same time as you and was able to still get full line speed - which wouldn't make sense if PN's network was congested.
I would think you're seeing exchange congestion. A good test is going to be to run the TAP3 test on the BT Speed Tester (but you're going to need to throttle your download speed so it triggers the option for you to run the test).
deathtrap
Grafter

As for BT speedtest, it's no good for providing reliable upstream speeds , iv'e never seen it record my actual upstream speed ,always a lot lower , i think  it gave a 15mbps  once, but generally always lower , talking of  low upload speed test results thinkbroadband  as of around 4mths ago no longer gives a proper upload speed result, it is always less than 10mbps (7.98mbps) other pn customers  get more reliable results on the upstream , and i used to, nothing has changed my side of things since installation,  
Well i only see these issues  during  the peak time ( plusnet's peak time window) and  Sunday  & Mondays  are  the  worst days, and issues  like congestion can exist within an isp's network without all their customers being affected , Last week there was an outage at the exchange i'm connected , but it never affected me,  
So just because you see the full speeds doesn't mean that  the problems i'm seeing  aren't down to plusnet in some way  or other, as before xmas  i was seeing almost full speeds, not just in speed tests  but actual use ,
dick:quote
AndyH
Grafter

Ok...so next time you run the BT Speed Tester and it gives you a lower result than you expect, try this:
1) Download http://www.netlimiter.com/
2) Limit your browser speed to below 5Mb/s
3) Run the BT Speed Test again
4) Click on Further Diagnostics, enter details
5) You should have failed the download speed test - click continue at the bottom
6) Turn off/close Netlimiter and enter the BT test login details to your router
7) Run the TAP3 test and see the results
If you see a significantly higher speed on the TAP3 test (which bypasses PN's network), that will be proof it's a PN problem.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Works perfect for me.
Estimated line speed:
    There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
    35.6 Mb
Download speedachieved during the test was - 33.71 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 25 Mbps-35.72 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 35.72 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.15Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

deathtrap
Grafter

Doesn't for me, and it also  gives a ping that's double or more my actual base latency  to thinkbroadband .com
deathtrap
Grafter

Are there any updates on progress regarding this ?  as again last night my upstream throughput nose dived  and the my TBBQM shows this  and it correlates to your very own usage graphs in a few ways  (it occurs only at your busiest time when  usage is at it's highest) So if it isn't a lack of resources causing  this maybe it's  something  to do with how the traffic management is working , It's real purpose isn't  for our benefit really  it's to keep the bean counters happy
AndyH
Grafter

I'm slightly confused by what you're saying as I thought there was no traffic management on the upstream side - only the downstream. Also, the upstream traffic graphs show little change over a 24hr period.
deathtrap
Grafter

But if the downstream is slowed down it maybe having a similar affect on the upstream, with VDSL  connections  Due to the way VDSL works, if the downstream is lowered the upstream will lower too , but  it wouldn't affect  ADSL , fact is if they didn't traffic shape or whatever they want to call it, then it couldn't be a possibility  But traffic management isn't for our benefit , it's their to save them money on bandwidth
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

deathtrap - what time did the upload speed dip? I've attached a graph to your ticket which shows your total traffic from last night, there is a small dip between 22:10 and 22:30 in the upstream but only a couple of Mbps.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: deathtrap
But traffic management isn't for our benefit , it's their to save them money on bandwidth

I disagree.  Is there to provide tiers of experience quality for different applications on Unlimited.  We certainly used it in the past to control high bandwidth applications on the older products, but that isn't the case any more.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
deathtrap
Grafter

It started to slow down soon after i started uploading,  started @19:15 ran at a more or less  full speed consistently, until around 19:45 when the speed started to slow, and become inconsistent it remained like that until  21:10 were there was a small increase,  and yes i see the dip too that is shown in your graph, shortly after 22:30 speeds gradually  resumed to  normal again,  this is reflected in the ping monitor  the absence of the green spiking and the  yellow and blue becoming lower  ,that correlates with the actual  upstream throughput , as for the downstream i didn't test  as i was uploading
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Could something else have been uploading at the time or could the upload have been erroring and therefore transmitting the packets and reporting a slowdown? Are you measuring the speed the FTP application is reporting or the speed on the network interface? The graph seems to show the upload speed was consistent pretty much until that dip, whereas if the remote side was seeing transmission errors necessitating the packets be retransmitted the application would show a decrease in speed.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology