cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

deathtrap
Grafter

Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

As above I'm considering doing this as i'm getting a little sick of the peak time slow downs that affect both upstream and downstream throughput  I know it's possibly down to an issue with BT wholesale failing to  ensure there is enough available bandwidth  during peak times but it could also be an issue with Plusnets side of things If this isn't down to plusnet , i would ask that BTwholesale are informed that there is a capacity issue their side of things be it cab to exchange ,exchange VP (always shown green)  or their core transit links into Plusnet
As the peak time jitter  has started to increase over the past month  too, and although base latency isn't greatly affected by it,  throughput is during these times,  my question to plusnet is why is this jitter present regardless of it being service affecting or not , it ideally shouldn't be there, the fact that it is to me suggests  possible issues  with  capacity  or network  hardware/software somewhere  maybe DPI  or whatever  is used to manage traffic ? Also some of the ping monitors  are showing the peak time hump (congestion) IMO
72 REPLIES 72
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Would adding the pro to fibre unlimited stop the peak time slooow downs ?

No issues here.
Where are you seeing the jitter/ peak time slow downs? What kind of usage?
There are some exchange issues at the moment - http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
deathtrap
Grafter

None anywhere near  my location.  external FTP upstream , HTTP downloads from several servers and speedtests replicate both upstream/downstream throughput issues , Sundays and Mondays seem the most severe , tonight the jitter started earlier @ 6pm   i had  similar issues  back during the summer months  but it has been ok until after xmas  since i got kicked off the gateway i had been on for a few weeks another pain of plusnet being kicked of gateways randomly  needs sorting out too
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's a tough one. If it's not some kind of REIN from somewhere nearby then I suspect this may well be down to crosstalk at the cabinet. The latter is being looked into by our suppliers but I haven't heard about a solution as yet I'm afraid. Judging by your ongoing connection of over 9 days it's not enough to cause intermittent connectivity which is a good thing, though I'm sorry the jitter is affecting things.
deathtrap
Grafter

I don't believe it to be crosstalk for one minute,  why because crosstalk would continually affect a connection  because in such a scenario once the threshold is met that causes issues, those issues  wouldn't go away  Because my issues with throughput only occur during the Peak time window  the reason IMO is not crosstalk  Infact  blaming issues on crosstalk  ect ,seems to be a favourite  get out for ISP's  because that's easy to do
I believe this issue to be congestion related because it only occurs at Peak time's (during the same  window as the jitter ) usually 8-9pm us when  throughput the slowest, If it isn't  down to Plusnets network & peering capacity , then it has to be BT Wholesale's part of the ship  Can i trial  the pro add-on  to see if i notice any difference or not ?
Melancholie
Grafter

Sunday and Monday are the busiest days of the week on broadband networks.
The Pro add-on probably won't help though, it's purely a Plusnet thing and won't affect priority over BT Wholesale's network  Embarrassed
deathtrap
Grafter

This Sunday & Monday  high usage phenomenon  didn't exist on the LLU networks.that i had  adsl2+ services on,( Both where unlimited and had no shaping /management ) and i haven't seen anything specifically regarding this  from customers who are with other ISP's that use the same BT Wholesale links as Plusnet  customers who for some reason  religiously use there connections more on a Sunday & Monday evenings than the rest of the week , is strange to say the least  and last night  there was a lot of data being passed over Plusnets links  peaking around the same times as my throughput dropped ,
So i wouldn't say the same issue  affects non plusnet customers , certainly  haven't seen any evidence of it

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The reason I suggest crosstalk is because it only manifests when many lines in the cab are in use at once - which makes it an ideal suspect. Regardless of whether they're installed or not, if they're not being used there's nothing to cause crosstalk, hence why you're seeing the problems at peak times. At least, that's my understanding of the issue.
As for Pro, Melancholie is right - it just affects the traffic management on our network, it won't have any effect on traffic as it goes across BT.
AndyH
Grafter

It's a fair point about the peak time humps (although is nothing like the problem from before) -

I don't do anything that is affected by any slight rise in pings. But I will have an Xbox One next week so might see how that gets on during peak hours.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Deathtrap:  Do you have a TBB ping graph?  Might be worth a look at if so.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

Probably also worth checking to make sure you're not on any of these exchanges that have capacity issues at present: http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/
deathtrap
Grafter

@ Andy H  my exchange and it's parent are not on that list, and none are in close proximity to me
@ Matt Taylor , In use as in sync yes ,but customer's internet  activity  wouldn't decrease or increase levels of crosstalk at the cab , this i'm 99.9 % is  capacity related be it within Plusnets network  or it BT Wholesale's remit , and  Before it is said as per the last time i had issues ,
Plusnet should not have to request an engineers visit  before BT wholesale will investigate their part of the ship , unless BTwholesale are going to pay the OR fees that it would result in of course
They just need hitting with a bigger yardstick  or the same sized one as AAISP  would use will do , and they will do their investigations instead of buck passing
@ Kelly I do have a a ping monitor but what it could tell you that i haven't already  i don't know but here it is    

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Are you running something at the times of those lifts?  They are very defined, and they also have a lot of low latency jitter during them?  (maxing upstream on the router? or hammering it with connections).
If they aren't you, do you see them often?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Kelly suggests, we're seeing large upload usage during those spikes. Those amounts of data are likely to be maxing out the upstream can could cause issues on the download. Can you try restricting the speed of whatever is being uploaded and see how your download/other activities perform?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
deathtrap
Grafter

The 3 lifts, where me uploading external  FTP yes, the 2nd attempt was scuppered  by poor throughput, and the other thing that happens  when throughput is poor is  the FTP client keeps delaying connection of more than only 1 or 2 streams , you can see on the 3rd attempt between 11pm and 2 am  that the latency is showing consistency  blue/yellow  and also some peaking of the green indicating that i'm more of less utilising the full 20mbps throughput , where as the 2nd  time, between around  9.30pm and 10.30 pm  is isn't as consistent  and there is no elevation of the green  which in my case is an indication that the full throughput utilisation on the upstream wasn't possible  at that time,
The graph shows the jitter starting at around 6pm  (the tightly packed yellow/blue on top of the green) and is fairly consistent in level until it stops just after 11pm   and my throughput is  more or less  back to full speed again

Downloading  at full speed multiple streams, when outside peak times when spare capacity available, my ping will only rise by 1ms  this is next to invisible on the graph,  this is normal for my connection and router set up, But during peak times  the maximum latency (yellow  will spike to 100+ ms ) whilst downloading if throughput is being reduced ,  last night it was down to around 64mbps or less   the upstream was dipping down to around 9mbps  
Which is unacceptable
Second attempt at posting this reply thanks to the forum that says i'm logged out  when i press the post button, but a check on the top right indicates that i'm actually logged in Huh
@Chris: you i think have misunderstood what i have said,  i wasn't downloading and uploading simultaneously  nor would i do that and expect to see full throughput , i always upload and download at separate times with the exception of the occasional P2P use  and l will sometimes limit  the upstream flow using the torrent client,
This arose  purely because i attempted to upload some data  using FTP  last night  and found that the throughput was inconsistent and  was  dropping as low as 50% less than it normally is outside peak times, But the peak time doesn't always  have such a huge impact on the upstream throughput , the downstream seems to be affected to some degree nearly each night , but usually it's a small dip of 1-5mbps  last night it was over 15mbps less than it is at all other times