cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a faceplate filter improve my speed?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Would a faceplate filter improve my speed?

Quote from: Anotherone
Star wiring makes NO difference HP. That wiring standard is fine.

Well in my experience it most definitely does. Cool
Quote from: DaddyG
Would the option of running cat5e from the master socket be even faster than that?

Probably not much if at all, unless the existing extension wiring was sub-standard or passed a significant source of interference.
(We're talking about an extra 15m at the end of nearly 2km from the exchange)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Just look at his current stats  Smiley
DaddyG
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
14Mb (This may vary between 12.5Mb and 16Mb) - Checked on 2013-02-01 14:13:16
Current line speed:
8.9 Mb
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

And that should be sorted now too, give it 10 minutes and you should be back to good speeds.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Many thanks Chris.
You should see a PPP drop when that takes effect (not a sync drop) DaddyG.
By the way, as far as not having a disconnect PPP on a modem/router for the Disconnect procedure, the next best thing is to pull the power plug and wait a minute before disconnecting things.
DaddyG
Grafter

Latest speedtest:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 15.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 15.72 Mbps
Fantastic! Thanks a lot for all your help guys  Grin
I think I'm going to have a go at setting a WAP up anyway, as the wireless signal at the front of the house is rubbish.
This will obviously involve turning the router on and off a few times. Will pulling the plug out stop my SNR getting downgraded again?
HPsauce
Pro

I'd try to seriously limit how often you turn the router off, especially as your profile has just been updated.
Presumably you're talking about using the spare unit as a WAP, you can set that up and test it without doing anything to the main router at all other than plugging an extra cable in to link the two once you've configured it offline and are ready to test internet connectivity.
DaddyG
Grafter

I was going to use my TP-link as the WAP, and have the TG582n as the primary.
There will be some down time whatever way I do things. My Cat5e should arrive tomorrow, should I hold off a bit before unplugging anything again? And if so how long should I keep it running?
HPsauce
Pro

I don't think DLM is anything like as sensitive as it used to be, but I'd still try to limit it to once a day.
Out of interest what are you planning to do overall?
Many of the things mentioned can have significant effects, some less so and many are just "tidying up" but a well-organised installation will be less prone to problems and easier to diagnose should they occur.
DaddyG
Grafter

The plan is to plug the TG582n into the master socket (this will give me a decent wi-fi signal at the front of the house, where we currently get 1-2 bars) I'm going to run some Cat5e from the TG582n through the house and plug that into my TP-link, which will stay in the same spot in our extension, where we spend most of our time.
There is an old co-ax cable already running most of the route, so I'm going to pull that out and run the Cat5e through the hole. I should only have to drill one wee hole, and can run the cable pretty much unseen to the router.
I'm happy with the speed I'm getting now, so will only really be doing this for the additional wi-fi range.
Does that sound like it would work?
Also, I may still get a faceplate filter, just to tidy things up. Plus I'm curious to see if there is any additional speed Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

In that case I'd recommend one of the new style BT VDSL2 faceplates.
They can be fitted without undoing any wiring (just 2 screws) and work really well - I have one myself.
See: http://phil.lavin.me.uk/2012/02/bts-uk-fttc-vdsl2-explained/ and http://www.clarity.it/vdsl_nte5_adaptor_faceplate.htm
DaddyG
Grafter

Oh, that does look easy Smiley cheers!
But as I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to save as much money as possible just now. I've got a punch down tool and don't mind a bit of re-wiring, would this do the job as well?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADSL-Faceplate-Filter-Master-Socket/dp/B0030BC2PW/ref=pd_sim_ce_3
HPsauce
Pro

I used to have one of those, they're fine. Just remember to wire your phone-only extensions to the filtered outlets on the back.
The new BT one is very neat and clever though a tiny bit bulkier. You can get them for under £10 on eBay.  Cool
With your plans I'd say get the BT one unless you have a specific reason not to.
DaddyG
Grafter

Ah, so there are! Cool, will get one of them and let you know how I get on Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

I'd agree with HP's last 2 posts there - we don't disagree all the time Wink  The vDSL filtered plate is a much higher quality filter and might give you a touch more speed.  It also has the advantage that should you want to isolate your internal filtered phone wiring by removing the lower front plate, you do not have to disconnect the modem/router as the vDSL plate and modem/router plug can stay in situ  Cool
I think even RR would agree with that  Cheesy