cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a faceplate filter improve my speed?

DaddyG
Grafter

Would a faceplate filter improve my speed?

Hello,
I joined Plusnet back at the start of January. I was told initially that I could expect speeds of around 14Mbps . Unfortunately I have never been able to achieve this with my home set up, and only manage around 8Mbps, as the router is connected to an extension socket about 15m away from the master socket.
When I tried connecting directly to the master sockets I am getting great speeds of around 16Mbps. Unfortunately the main living area of the house is miles away through a stone wall, so connecting the router up there is not an option.
What I was thinking of doing was connecting an ADSL faceplate filter on the master socket, then running some CW308 from the faceplate directly to the router (again, a distance of around 15m). My questions are: Would this improve my speed? And if not is there another option?
Any help would be much appreciated!
67 REPLIES 67
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Would a faceplate filter improve my speed?

Quote from: DaddyG
is there another option?

Oh yes!  Grin
Eliminate all extension wiring. Connect the router to the master socket. Run LAN (Cat5e) cable to your PC instead of the CW1308 (presumably) you were thinking of.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Yes it would improve your speed.  I can recommend these filters from personal experience of several installations http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interstitial-Faceplate-BT-Compatible-Distributed/dp/B006VX2P1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie...
But it is hard to find good quality twisted-pair modem cable, so HPsauce offers a better option.
DaddyG
Grafter

Thanks for the swift replies guys  Smiley
The connection from the faceplate would be going into my router, so would it not need to be an rj11 connection rather than an ethernet over cat5?
How would I wire the cat5?
Edit: I need wireless at the far end of the house, and not where the master socket is. That's why I was thinking about twisted-pair.
DaddyG
Grafter

Sorry, just read my reply again and realised I didn't make things clear! The router needs to be at the far end of the house, as that's where we use the most wi-fi. This means I can't really connect the router at the master socket and run a LAN.
This is why I thought the faceplate/ new dedicated extension cable option would be the next best compromise.
Sorry if I didn't make things clear  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

I can't really connect the router at the master socket and run a LAN.

Why not?
Ever heard of a WAP? Wink  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point
DaddyG
Grafter

Yes, I have . Smiley
I'd thought about this, but couldn't get it working with the 2 routers I have (the plusnet TG582N and a TP-Link TD-W8960N).
I'm totally skint just now and am looking for the cheapest possible option really! I can't really afford to fork out for a new router  Undecided
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I cannot understand while all the previous suggestions have even been mentioned when they aren't cheap options.
For a start, a Filtered faceplate at the master socket will achieve nothing as far as using your modem/router at an extension socket goes and if it's the wrong type (got no unfiltered terminals its useless).. All it achieves is saving use of a dangley filter if you have a phone plugged in there.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with CW1308 cable to an extension socket and using your modem/router there, all that's needed is to check everything is connected correctly The way you posted in the OP suggests you think the existing cable is not CW1308 so perhaps best to confirm the colour of the existing wires.
We also need to be sure why your speed is down.
First as far as wiring is concerned is the current extension socket the only one? The only wires connected should be a Blue+white trace on terminal 2 and a White+blue trace on 5.
Are you using any plug in extension leads at all? Do all your Microfilters look like this?
Also Login to your modem/router and copy and paste the full DSL stats by clicking View more under DSL connection as shown here
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Well, Anotherone, since DaddyG only mentioned his lack of funds in his most recent previous post, we weren't to know that there was a big impetus towards a low/no cost solution.  But you're quite right; I have only ever had to resort to a filtered (interstitial) plate at the master socket when for one reason or another it wasn't practicable to disconnect extraneous wires at all the extension sockets. 
DaddyG
Grafter

There are a total of 3 other extension sockets in the house, all of them have microfilters on them (4 all together including the one on the master socket). There  are no extension leads, and I haven't checked how the sockets are wired yet (will do that tomorrow morning).
Here are the current DSL stats:
Mode: ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type: ATM
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis): On On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 88 60
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 245 98
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 0 119
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 12484 1160

Path 0 Path 1
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 11615 1163 0 0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message): 51 12 0 0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame): 206 35 0 0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame): 1 1 0 0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes): 2 4 0 0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame): 0 0 0 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length): 0.5688 0.9829 0.0 0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame): 2911 293 0 0
D (interleaver depth): 1 1 0 0
Delay (msec): 0.14 0.24 0.0 0.0
INP (DMT symbol): 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Super Frames: 2035510 916959 0 0
Super Frame Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Words: 0 0 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0 0 0

HEC Errors: 4294967289 461 0 0
OCD Errors: 31 0 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0 0 0
Total Cells: 904115632 152780 0 0
Data Cells: 4662721 276 0 0
Bit Errors: 0 0 0 0

Total ES: 2055 0
Total SES: 38 0
Total UAS: 2153 1859
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK. as long as the Filters look like the link I posted, and you only need a filter where you have something plugged in.
The Stats show your current SNRM at 8.8dB so you may have a bit of noise pickup and this will limit the achievable speed, so we need you to do that wiring check. If you have different coloured wires to any of the extensions, make sure that information is clear when you post back and which extension is which etc.
Also Run the BT "Diagnostic" speedtest  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - ignore the red pre-amble but make sure nothing is using the Internet, then when the first test if complete, press the Further Diagnostics button at the bottom of the page. Copy and paste the results here and check your Current Line speed (Login required). This should match the BT IP Profile for the Line from the speedtest.
From what you've posted I assume your Master Socket is an NTE5a like the one on the left picture?
Edit: By the way, yes your speeds should be much better, another thing you should check is that you don't hear any audible noise on the line when using the phone.
Edit2: correct reference to Master socket.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
I cannot understand while all the previous suggestions have even been mentioned

Because the OP asked for options. He didn't set any limitations.  Cool
DaddyG
Grafter

OK, checked all the sockets this morning. Whoever wired up my house clearly didn't  like blue, as the number 2 and 5 terminals all had orange and orange & white going into them. On the master socket this was all there was, but on the extensions there were blue & white wires going into 3 & 4. I have disconnected the 3 &4 terminals, and also unwired the third extension, as we don't really use that socket.
After doing this I carried out the BT Speed test. Here are the results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 8.82 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 12.4 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
My current line speed details from Plusnet are:
Estimated line speed: 14Mb (This may vary between 12.5Mb and 16Mb) - Checked on 2013-02-01 14:13:16
Current line speed: 8.9 Mb
Also, there is no noticeable noise when using the phone.
HPsauce
Pro

I'm totally skint just now

How skint? I use TP-Link TL-WR702N units for all sorts of functions and they're under £20 at Amazon.
DaddyG
Grafter

Hmmm £16.49! That might be doable next pay day!
How would that set up work then? The TL-WR702N connected to the master socket then a LAN cat5 running from it to my router? Would that work?