cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth getting the ASUS RT-N56U 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router?

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Worth getting the ASUS RT-N56U 300Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router?

where did you buy the RT-N56U router and how much was it?

I bought it for £80.00 from Amazon, including postage. I believe that you can buy it slightly cheaper elsewhere but I like the security of Amazon's customer service.
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: tijara33
]I've been using the RT-N56U for over 2 months without any trouble.

Thanks Tijara good to hear!  I think its highly likely I will end up getting the Asus as everything seems to point to it having stronger wireless than the Billion.
Given that Ive already maxed my 5port gig switch, some extra Ethernet ports would be useful and Im keen on the USB network storage too!
Graham21
Grafter

Quote from: tokey
Graham I get a similar result on wireless.
Wired connection gets me a stable 72mb down 18mb up
Via wireless in the same room I can get about 35-37mb down and 18mb up from my laptop or smartphone, If I go to the next room over this drops to as low as 9mb down and about 5mb up.
I live in a 1970s build semi detached house so the room sizes are average and the wall thickness not unusual.  Infact I think the dividing wall in this instance is a cavity wall too.

Hi, I would be interested in knowing your laptop model and figuring out what it's wi-fi radio is capable of. Happy to swap out your router too. I would need yours back for testing though. I can then test against the standard scenarios that I have set up and see how it compares to known good routers. I can get someone to arrange a courier but it would be a matter of knowing the day not the time. Would that work for you?
Graham

Graham21
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
Hi Graham, re
that I can send them to the vendor for analysis and after several months only two have been sent in.

I hope you received the one which I returned over 2 months ago. I think I sent it to Chris.
Nick

Hi Nick,
Of course! I reported a while back that the unit you returned can do 80 Mb/s with no walls and no other WLANs reachable. On (I think) HairyBiker's suggestion, I've been doing a lot of testing in what I think is a pretty difficult scenario: A wall, a landing and two floors of my Victorian house. Two baby monitors going. Two other working Wi-Fi routers in the house, neighbour using 40MHz, etc. I've been getting speeds like 30-40Mb/s with one of my sample of routers averaging 56Mb/s (over 6 hours). Just working on replicating the results and will pass on more info when I have it. I'm testing about 10 routers (not just returned ones) and I'm doing about 20 hours (spread out) of testing on each so it is taking a while.
Graham
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Graham21
Hi, I would be interested in knowing your laptop model and figuring out what it's wi-fi radio is capable of. Happy to swap out your router too.

I think we can manage that Smiley
Laptop is an HP Elitebook 2540p utilising an Intel Centrino Advanced N 6200 built in wireless card.  Smart phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note2.  Bandwidth measurements tend to be pretty similar between both the laptop and the phone.
Happy to send the router back if you can swap it for another on the same day?  As for picking a day, that should be fine as long as its not a monday.  Send me a PM and we can make arrangements.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Of course! I reported a while back that the unit you returned can do 80 Mb/s

Of course you did, sorry. It's my age, my memories going!  Undecided