cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World of Warcraft unplayable due to consistent ping spikes

lexifer
Dabbler

World of Warcraft unplayable due to consistent ping spikes

I first noticed this issue a couple of weeks ago on World of Warcraft, when i first log in, my ping is 16ms home and 16ms world, after a few minutes my world lag would spike to over 2000+, after doing a bit of googling i discovered getting a static IP address may resolve latency issues. This has improved my latency only slightly, it still spikes to 200 ms rendering gameplay almost impossible at high end-game. 

Traceroute to the WoW server (Draenor)

Tracing route to 80-239-179-116.customer.teliacarrier.com [80.239.179.116]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 84.93.253.88
3 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 84.93.253.95
4 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms 195.99.125.144
5 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms peer6-hu0-6-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.25]
6 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms t2c3-et-8-1-0-0.uk-lon1.eu.bt.net [166.49.211.240]
7 11 ms 9 ms 10 ms ldn-b1-link.telia.net [213.248.97.48]
8 9 ms 9 ms 22 ms ldn-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.114.234]
9 21 ms 22 ms 21 ms adm-bb3-link.telia.net [213.155.136.99]
10 23 ms 22 ms 20 ms adm-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.140.115]
11 22 ms 22 ms 16 ms 80-239-179-116.customer.teliacarrier.com [80.239.179.116]

Trace complete.

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: World of Warcraft unplayable due to consistent ping spikes

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing lag spikes when playing WoW.

Our tests aren't showing any issues, and as you've tried a static IP you've already ruled out one of things I'd have tried as we had a similar issue with this in the past where a static IP improved the performance, though that's since been resolved.

Is the computer you're using connecting over WiFi via a wired connection? Have you tried a different computer to rule out the issue being isolated to one device?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lexifer
Dabbler

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I just got my friend to bring his laptop over to test the ping on that device whilst connected to WoW. It initially loaded at 20ms home and 20 ms world, after about a minute world ping climbed to over 500. 

Both wired and wireless connections have this issue, my computer is connected via ethernet and the laptop is connected over WiFi.

lexifer
Dabbler

Attempted to play Age of Empires this evening.. ping was excruciatingly high

lexifer
Dabbler

I have noticed whilst browsing this forum many of your customers are having latency issues, which you vehemently deny is anything to do with your network.

I am paying £5 extra for a static IP, to address an issue which hasnt been resolved, whilst also paying for my World of Warcraft subscription, which i cannot, and have been unable to play for the past three weeks. Prior to this I had been playing daily for about 6 months with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

As you can see from my previous post, the latency issue isnt just affecting World of Warcraft, it is disabling me from playing ANY multiplayer games. If I play Old School Runescape, i get massive lag spikes and end up dead. If I try to play a multiplayer real time strategy, the latency prevents me from playing at the best of my ability due to the 3-5 second spikes.

The only thing I have been able to do, is host a dedicated Ark server, where my friends connect to me. The issue appears to be your network either dropping my connection, or just throttling me completely.

Thanks

Lex

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @lexifer,

I'm sorry that this problem is affecting all of your multiplayer games and for the inconvenience that this is causing you. As this is affecting all of your games and the static IP hasn't resolved the problem, it appears that this is unrelated to the previous World of Warcraft problems that were affecting a large number of customers.

I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up any issues from this side. For reference, today's test result is as follows:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 40.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 233.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-10-23T11:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 791.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-11-05T11:02:37Z 2018-11-05T11:17:37Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on. If the issue persists once you've done the troubleshooting checks, please report it here and let us know when you've completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I'd take a punt that the standard troubleshooting guide is unlikely to find the problem.  The high probability is that there is  problem in one of the Routers deep in the network causing the delay.  Tricky to find and will need the Plusnet network engineers to liaise with the BT guys.

I recall a similar problem about a year ago that @bobpullen became involved in - cannot find it in search though.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lexifer
Dabbler

Hi,

I have completed the troubleshooting guide. It took me a while to actually find someone with a home phone I could borrow, the line was completely fine, just a dial tone as normal with no static present. I have the correct wires in the correct place and I only have one phone socket in my flat and assume this is the master socket. I also replaced the microfilter as a precaution.

Unfortunately I am still having issues, with my ping on World of Warcraft varying anywhere between 16-1000ms. 

Mav
Fixes: 514

@lexifer wrote:

I am paying £5 extra for a static IP,

The £5 fee would have been a one-off charge when the static IP was activated.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @lexifer, thanks for the updates.

We're still not showing any sort of issue with the line and so would recommend taking a look at the app via the below link:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

If you can let it run for 24-48 hours, and then send us a screen of the graph it produces we should have more of an insight into when and what's going on and hopefully should be able to get this issue resolved for you.

lexifer
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa,

Have attempted to set this up as requested, however I am only getting 100% packet loss. I have looked at the router configuration guides on the website and I have an unsupported router;

• PlusNet Hub Zero / Hub One (aka BT Home Hub 5a)

I have also placed my desktop in the DMZ as suggested on the website for a router like mine and still no luck.

lexifer
Dabbler

Well, after spending the past few weeks trying to get my computer to accept the ICMP pings i have *finally* managed to get it working.

Even after enabling the ICMP pings in my firewall it still wasnt working, i had to use command prompt in admin mode in order to get it to work.

Here is graph from the past 24 hours. (10/12 - 11/12)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the graph.

I think the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit for further investigation to check the Openreach network.

If you can report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net giving us a nudge over here once you've done so we'll be happy to pick it up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lexifer
Dabbler

Hi,

I have reported the issue on the link provided

Thanks,
Lexifer
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @lexifer, thanks for the update.

We've now raised your fault report to BT Wholesale for further investigation and hope to receive further updates within the next 3 working days.

We've updated your ongoing fault ticket found here, although no input is required from you at this time.

If you do need anything else at all in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get in touch.