cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World Record for fixing ineternet problem!

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

World Record for fixing ineternet problem!

this relates to ticket number #94798262
My neighbour has had poor phone service and intermittent internet connection since before the ticket above was opened on 18th November.
Her line is a tiny bit shorter than mine and is delivered over the exactly the same cables,  & whereas I now enjoy a stable and acceptably fast connection for the length of line, (1668 kb/s)  she currently has none at all, it having gone steadily downhill since October.
She has had umpteen appointments with BT/OR . Each time an engineer has visited ,  they diagnose and attempt to fix the problem , often from a different perspective!
Without success.
Yesterday, she waited all afternoon for an engineer to show up. No one came.
So far OR have:
replaced the drop between the overhead line to the NTE master
replaced the NTE master and faceplate
investigated the overhead and underground  line for possible faults/ issues
replaced the ADSL equipment in the exchange
made changes to line settings
the router is  plugged into the master socket . there is no extension wiring. there is no noise on the line . there is either impossibly  slow, intermittent  or no DSL activity on the line
when the service does work it is for short bursts only which makes any kind of normal prolonged inetrnet use impossible.
from having helped her and listened to what visiting engineers have said over the last few months it seems like OR may now have given up!
Any thoughts - from PN staff?
9 REPLIES 9
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: World Record for fixing ineternet problem!

I'm quite concerned at the age of the ticket, or the lack of engineers. It sounds like a long line which also won't help matters. I've made our faults team leaders aware of your ticket though and hope someone will take ownership for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
runhare
Aspiring Pro

I really think this should be escalated to a senior level..... at both PN and BT/OR
Just heard: An engineer is booked for tomorrow. We live in hope! All will depend if the person who comes has any real understanding of the problem, the knowledge and the right equipment. they all seem to treat it as a new fault.
BTW , my house is next door , the location is all but  identical. My connection is stable and fast! So there is no reason my neighbours could not be theoretically, or am i missing something?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

To a certain extent, it does depend on the engineer. We will of course escalate this to our supplier though. I tend to do this once everything is working as it should be though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
runhare
Aspiring Pro

We're  not happy: Open Reach have just rung me to say they cant find my house. I told them where to find it . then he asked what the problem was?  I told him he should know. he said he has no idea and they are not given notes. Surely this cannot be right? I fear another useless visit from an engineer who has no idea what he is doing. I'm goign to print out the  ticket and give to him as proof there is a long standing problem and then ring you . I want an engineer to speak to a PN member of staff to follow this through properly
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

We cannot raise a fault without adding engineer notes, so I'm not sure how he cannot find them. On his paper work, the engineer should also have a number for our faults team so he can speak to us about the issue.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: gpsmout
... then he asked what the problem was?  I told him he should know. he said he has no idea and they are not given notes. Surely this cannot be right?

It is not right - PlusNet's notes go on the additional information section of the job "sheet" - however that means reading the full job a laptop.  Some engineers simply do not bother reading the whole of the job before attending or even on arrival.  In my experience this has lead to them not finding the location even though clarification of the location was ... in the PN job notes!  Do you see a theme developing here?
Also there have been reports of certain non-BOR sub-contractors not having laptops on which to look up the full details of the job.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

update:
two engineers have been at the scene, my neighbours house,  since 10.30am- just left 16.30pm . they were  very interested to read the complete ticket details  which we printed out for them and they read through it all. However VERY dismissive of anything to do with remote analysis of the situation from PN or anyone else.
First thing they did was to carry out a quiet line test  & it instantly revealed faults on the line ( crackles & pops etc) so loud you could hear them on the speaker . good job it was windy! . the fault was located about 300 m from the house. As a result  they  replaced  about half a mile of  line. In fact it is new line -  bypassing the main cable that feeds all of our houses - about a couple of dozen of us -  presumably there was no decent quality spare pair in the main cable. they claim that has fixed the internet issue but we cannot be sure as apparently our PN router has given up and we still have no ADSL. So muggins here is going to go and have to test with my sturdy old DG500 router to see if that is right!
if it is fixed it will be interesting to see what the download sync is : At my houseI get 1700 kbps but my neighbour was getting only a few hundred usually at best when her service did work.
I can't fault the engineers who came today as they have worked their ***e's off to find and fix a fault. However they  defintiley said they had no access to any past notes or records. Also I have never seen the type of equipment they used before .. and over the last few months I have seen a lot, (including some that didn't work) but it seemed to give them plenty of information to get cracking on the job!
Lets see what the results are with my stuff !
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: gpsmout
... they  replaced  about half a mile of  line. In fact it is new line -  bypassing the main cable that feeds all of our houses - about a couple of dozen of us -  presumably there was no decent quality spare pair in the main cable...

Astounding - replacing a main line - that is highly unusual!  Nice result though - I do hope it works.  Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

well it does work .... up to a point!
At the moment my neighbours router has just achieved a steady sync with the router reporting the following stats :
Modem state: up
Up time (Days hh:mm:ss): 0 days, 0:15:02
xDSL Standard: ITU-T G.992.1
xDSL Annex: Annex A
Channel Mode: Interleaved
Number of reset: 1

System Vendor info (showtime): Local Remote

Bearers generic info DS US
Payload rate [Kbps]: 1920 480
Attenuation [dB]: 63.5 31.5
Margins [dB]: 6.4 11.0
Output power [dBm]: 16.9 12.3
G.997.1 Statistics (Current):
Failures:
Line failures Near end
Loss of signal (LOS): 0
Loss of frame (LOF): 0
Loss of power (LPR): 0
Performance monitoring:
Line PM: Near end
Error second (ES): 43
Channel PM: Near end Far end
Bearer 0:
Code Violation (CV): 19 0
FEC: 177 16
ATM data path PM: Near end Far end
Bearer 0:
HEC violation count (HEC): 77 N/A
G.997.1 Statistics (last 15 minutes):
Failures:
Line failures Near end
Performance monitoring:
Error second (ES): 11
Bearer 0:
Bearer 0:
G.997.1 Statistics (last 24 hours):
Failures:
Line failures Near end
Performance monitoring:
Error second (ES): 43
Bearer 0:
Bearer 0:

However BT whoesale speed test suggests actual download is only 800 kbps!
will it improve? wait and see ..