cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Laptop Disconnects Router

grimme
Grafter

Re: Work Laptop Disconnects Router

Hi, If it is only the internet connection that is going down when the work laptop is using the VPN, you may want to ask your work to investigate Split-Tunnelling with the Cisco VPN software.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rather than persisting with a router which obviously has problems and is obsolete, perhaps it is time to buy a modern and supported modem/router.
The obvious choice would be the Billion 8800NL.

On the 8800NL, configure the ADSL etc, switch off the wireless (which is it's weakest feature) and continue using the Apple Airport Express for your WiFi.
The 8800NL has a great ADSL modem, and reasonable router, but it is also fibre capable - so you won't need any new hardware when FTTC arrives.
katpaw
Grafter

Thanks Nibiru, I'll look into that.  Smiley
Why is it "obviously" the router though? I can't help but think there must be a setting somewhere that's not right.
My wife uses VPN on her works laptop and that doesn't cause a problem. The only difference being hers in certificate based VPN and mine is via an RSA SecurID.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: katpaw
Why is it "obviously" the router though?

What else could it possibly be ?, because during normal operation the modem shouldn't disconnect, or the router reboot, or whatever is going on.
The router/modem should ignore anything unexpected, and carry-on regardless.
The fact that you can specifically cause the fault by selecting a different protocol on your LAN, means that it can't be related to the phone side of your router, and you have eliminated the router's poor handling of WiFI by substituting your Apple wireless access point. 
If it is not the router firmware, what else is there that has the ability to drop the internet connection or cause a reboot?
My argument would be that the Thompson router OK for basic usage but isn't that great beyond that, there have been other reported crashing issues in the past, it is unlikely to receive ongoing security firmware updates in the future, and for your own sanity and potential wasted time, you can save yourself any more hassle with a new modem/router.  As you have Apple devices, they are moving towards using IPv6, so why not preempt that upgrade by using a new device which has that capability.
If paying £60 for a 8800NL is a stumbling point, then I have bought many excellent ADSL routers of eBay for less than £20.
In fact today I am setting up a DrayTek 2710n as an upgrade for my mother's internet and that cost me £0.99 plus £2.80 postage.
katpaw
Grafter

Many thanks Nibiru for your help and advice, much appreciated. I'll certainly get one sorted.
All the best
Paul