cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woeful speed

solsticefire

Woeful speed

We currently have about 500k speed or less . Apparently because of the distance from the exchange, even though my dad who lives a couple of hundred yards away gets between 2 and 3 meg. My question is; what sort of speed could i expect from fibre (which is in the area), and would it be worth the expense just to upgrade to a similar speed to other users on normal connections?
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Woeful speed

Fibre is indeed available to your premises, the estimate I can see for yourself would be around 8mb down and up to 10mb up so you should see a marked increase in speeds if you decide to go down that route.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

would be around 8mb down and up to 10mb up

I guess those are the correct figures from the estimator and I understand how it got those but when you see it written like that it does look daft that it says upload could be better than the download  Smiley
Maybe it ought to start estimating upload as welll now  with Fibre ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Didn't think they provided fibre under 12meg?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Estimated speed is not always correct set by BT. As BT say my line on ADSL2+ is between 4Mb and 7Mb and I got sync rate of 17Mb (10Mb more than BT estimated)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Technically we can provide n FTTCconnection where the estimate is as low as 2mb believe it or not, to be realistic we would advise customers in that scenario that faults may be more likely as the copper part of FTTC would be quite long.
15mb was actually a low limit threshold that was just in place for the initial FTTC trials.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Thanks for the clarification Adam and sorry for an y FUD Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
solsticefire

Thanks for the discussion guys/gals, looks like we're stuck with it for now.