cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring BT Openreach Master Socket.... HELP?

novak100

Wiring BT Openreach Master Socket.... HELP?

Hi
I'm not sure if this is right place to ask but I've been trying everywhere and no luck.
I removed front pane from my master socket to fix internet speed (and it is working super fine on test socket). Now I want to connect front pane back again but all the instructions on the net are for "cables with rings" where my cables are solid colors and there are 8 of them in one set and there is even more of them inside.
I attached picture with the socket.

Please help?
I would prefer not to pay 100£ to thieves from BT.
16 REPLIES 16
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Wiring BT Openreach Master Socket.... HELP?

Did you cut the wires, or pull them off the faceplate? Or weren't there any attached?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: novak100
I would prefer not to pay 100£ to thieves from BT.

They wouldn't want to know, that's presumably extension wiring. Outside their remit normally.
Hopefully you noted which colours were connected to what on the removed section....
A photo of it would help as your "rings" comment is not clear at all.
A competent local electrician familiar with phone wiring (for broadband) would sort you out PDQ.
PS An electrician could also move the power socket and cables away from the phone sockets - not really ideal.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You could check the extension and see what is connected to 2&5 then connect the same wires to the back of the face plate in the same position.
anniesboy
Rising Star

It looks as if the two blue and two whites were the only wires  connected and most likely go to 2 & 5.
I guess the reference to to rings is aimed at cable colours (blue/white)  for example.
novak100

funny thing is - there is no extension socket in whole flat. It is only 3 years old building and I already had so many issues with it.
Anyway, I did not make a note how the cables been connected before as when I was taking front pane I had to fight with it as some genius use silicone to attach it.
I found that picture which is the closest to my situation although I do not have white&blue cable.  [Custom NTE5 Master Socket]

Inside socket I can see two white packs of 8 cables not connected to anything plus one black pack connected to upper part of the socket.
Would You guys recommend to try every single cable? Would that be somehow dangerous?
HPsauce
Pro

there is no extension socket in whole flat.

So why do you need anything reconnecting?  Crazy
Estragon
Rising Star

funny thing is - there is no extension socket in whole flat.
So how does that pic resemble your setup? It shows two "sockets".
It is only 3 years old building and I already had so many issues with it.
If you do have two sockets I suspect a master socket in some "services" room.
Anyway, I did not make a note how the cables been connected before as when I was taking front pane I had to fight with it as some genius use silicone to attach it.
Because someone seems to have broken a screw or something off in the right-hand screw-hole.
Would You guys recommend to try every single cable? Would that be somehow dangerous?
Very unwise.
There have to be some extensions.  It's very unusual in a new build to be none, and if there weren't there would be no wires. And no need to connect any of the ones you see.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am slightly confused - not difficult I know  Embarrassed
The picture shows a BT NTE5 master socket (or appears to) but your diagram doesn't show that
However - if your diagram is correct - and the picture is of the custom NTE master socket then assuming that everything works on the test socket and you can't see any other sockets then don't connect anything to the front plate and see how you get on.
I assume that your reference to the black cable is the feed from the non BT NTE master to the NTE socket
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
don't connect anything to the front plate and see how you get on.

Wot I sed!  Grin (roughly)
I'd also cut the tip off every cable so that there are no bare wires to short out, then curl each one up tidily out of the way in the recess behind the plate.  Wink
novak100

Thanks You all.
Solution - do not connect anything.
Router is working fine using master socket.
I found one extension socket, but it is not working, obviously. I was trying to connect blue to 2 and white to 5 but still nothing.
So for now I will keep using master socket and maybe one day I will figure it out how to activate extension socket.
Two more questions to You guys,for future reference:
=> If someone gonna have two extensions socket - should they be both connected to master, or extension to extension? (as I can see cables for two extension socket behind front pane)
Second question :
I putted back front pane without any cables attached and internet is working fine but..
using test socket behind front pane i managed to get stable 10.5mbps
using front pane socket I'm getting 8.5mbps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Extension to extension - daisy chained is the way
Regarding speeds on test socket and master socket - please post full router stats on each - speeds, noise margin and attenuation
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

This BT Master Socket is very bad idea next to electricity socket. I never seen anything like this before. My BT Master Socket is away from electricity socket see below
HPsauce
Pro

Agree with above, extensions (if you have them) are best daisy-chained. Though if you are rigorous about filtering at the master a star-wired setup need be no worse.
As for mains adjacent I had exactly the same concern earlier in  the thread. Not good.  Sad
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

My electric 2 gang, BT master, and transformer for door bell, are much closer than appears in the picture with no obvious problems (1971 built house).
Am I just exceptionally lucky?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.