cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless to wired

Jarr
Grafter

Wireless to wired

I'm currently operating wireless from my laptop but if I connect direct via my cable I should get faster speeds yes? I've connected the cable but I'm getting the same speed. Should I be doing something to the modem or router?
10 REPLIES 10
krs360
Grafter

Re: Wireless to wired

Why would you receive faster speeds?
Assuming the wireless connection speed is greater than your Internet connection there shouldn't be an issue if it's stable?
e.g if your wireless is connected at say 54mbit and your adsl connection is 7.5mbit the limiting factor is the ADSL connection itself. You may get faster speeds locally via wired cables, but again this depends on other devices/switches on the network as well. On the other hand if your wireless was say 30mbit and you had 80mbit fibre then the wireless could indeed be the limiting factor.
Provide some more info about connection speeds, etc if this doesn't make sense to you.
Ben.
Jarr
Grafter

Wireless I'm getting 28mps Plusnet just sent me an e-mail saying I should be getting 78mps.
Or should I be getting that wireless?
krs360
Grafter

What's your wireless connection speed from your PC to router?
Click the wireless icon in the system tray,, network and connection sharing and then click the wireless connection 1 or whatever its called.
Should display the connection speed on that screen.
What is it you're using to speed test with?
Reply is a bit short, sat in house with no electric ATM so typing from phone.. Bloody electrician!
Ben
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Just a thought.
When your laptop was connected using a cable, did you remember to switch off the wireless on the laptop ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good point zzZzz, most Windows computers at least will 'prefer' a wireless connection (if active) even when a cable is connected.
In a few cases it can even be the computer that's the limiting factor (or even antivirus or firewall software) throttling the speed.
I'm sure I've seen a post in the past where a user had a very old laptop that was basically slower than their Fibre connection!
Wired (100mb full duplex ethernet or better) will not normally throttle Fibre speeds, WiFi often can and will (due to distance, interference and other factors not normally affecting a wired connection) but if the Fibre connection itsself is slower than the network devices connected (wired or wireless) then it will be the limiting factor.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Jarr
Grafter

How do you turn wireless off on laptops?
thomasjc1
Grafter

bottom right hand corner in your tray click on wireless icon and your wireless connection will show up aswell as others click on it and disconnect
click on that
then click on your connection
Jarr
Grafter

I know that but when I plug the cable in from the router it connects to wireless again
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Many laptops have some kind of wireless 'switch' or button, you should also be able to disable the wifi via the control panel (exact method depends on Windows version), other OS's should have similar possibilities. Beware though, I have occasionally found that after disabling wifi via 'network and sharing' on Vista (on one particular laptop) I had to re-install drivers after re-enabling (probably a rare problem) on that machine it was easier to disable wifi in the BIOS.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
thomasjc1
Grafter

I have never had that problem before. Is it that you are turning it off then soon as you put cable in then wireless is enabled again have you tried turning it off when cable is in?
Can try this way

Click on the START button.
Select CONTROL PANEL from the START MENU.
Click on NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS in the Control Panel window, if Windows is using the Category view.
Click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS on the next screen.
Right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select DISABLE from the menu that appears.
When you want to enable the wireless network connection again, right-click on the icon and select ENABLE.