cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless speed issue

lioblade

Wireless speed issue

Hello.
I've recently had fibre broadband installed at my home. For some reason my wireless speed is much slower than that I'm getting from a wired connection. I understand that there will always be a difference between the two, however the difference seems to be too large. I'm getting around 75Mb/s with a wired connection, but I'd be lucky to 30Mb/s with wireless. My laptop is only about a year old, so the network capabilities are good enough to support the higher speeds. I'm also getting 4 out of 5 bars, so the signal strength is good.
Can you let me know if this is normal. If not, what is wrong? How can I fix this?
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wireless speed issue

Hi lioblade,
It may be worth you looking at this to see if you have some issue with the interference on your wireless channel.
Aside from this, how close are you to the router when running the wireless speed test out of curiosity?

Thanks
xreyuk
Grafter

Sounds normal to me. Wireless is very temperamental, and the only way you can really guarantee proper throughput via Wireless is to pay for a better router. I bought a router for about £50 which is much better wirelessly.
You can try changing you wireless channel in you router to see if performance improves. If there are other users on the same channel as you, you can see reduced throughput. I'd recommend trying channels 1, 6 and 13 and seeing if you get better throughput on any of them.
lioblade

Quote from: Adam
Hi lioblade,
It may be worth you looking at this to see if you have some issue with the interference on your wireless channel.
Aside from this, how close are you to the router when running the wireless speed test out of curiosity?

Thanks

I have my channel designation on automatic, so it picks the best channel for me. The router is in the attic. So it's literally above me.
lioblade

Quote from: Xreyuk
Sounds normal to me. Wireless is very temperamental, and the only way you can really guarantee proper throughput via Wireless is to pay for a better router. I bought a router for about £50 which is much better wirelessly.
You can try changing you wireless channel in you router to see if performance improves. If there are other users on the same channel as you, you can see reduced throughput. I'd recommend trying channels 1, 6 and 13 and seeing if you get better throughput on any of them.

Buying a new router will probably be my last option. I'll see if anyone on here has a solution. If not, I'll have to invest in a new one like yourself.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Also worth checking that the laptop wireless is "N300" or better.
Still worth trying other channels despite the automatic channel selection, the router can only select the channel based on a few factors at the router's location, it won't necessarily select the channel that works the best.