cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless signal booster

DaveC99

Wireless signal booster

Hi - I'm after some advice about how best to boost a wifi signal.
I live in a town house - so tall and thin (4 floors). I've currently got my rooter plugged into an secondary phone socket on the top floor in the office (which is where I want it for my personal PC and work laptop to be able to hard conenct to). The master socket is on the first floor.
I'm currently setting up a wireless sound system and hopefully video streaming using a network storage device (all seems to be working :)) - but the wifi signal we have in the living room on the second floor isn't good - and is no existant for some devices.
So - is there a 'best' way to boost a wifi signal? As I have the master phone socket just under the floor from the main 'hub' point for all my bits of kit would a second router work? My assumption is that it won't. So if thats the case are there any particual boosters that work well with the PlusNet Thompson router?
3 REPLIES 3
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Wireless signal booster

I think it would be a better option to look at a router with improved wireless performance.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You may as well try some software settings to improve the wireless: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
Other things to try are upgrading to the 10.2 firmware, and changing the physical positioning and orientation of the router, perhaps even just rotating it slightly.
lotrjw
Grafter

How about getting hold of some old routers (that do wireless N and WPA2 of course!), put one on each floor and wire them to the main router using Ethernet cable. Then set each router up as a wireless access point using the exact same wireless settings as the main router (on different radio channels of course!). Also make sure all routers except the main one have DHCP off and that they are all on the same subnet as the main router. Then make sure the main routers DHCP wont give out the IPs of the other routers to other devices, if the main router is one plusnet have supplied then the DHCP wont give out IP addresses below 192.168.0.60 so you can give the other routers IPs lower than that.
You might loose a bit of speed this way, but wifi speeds always work out less anyway. With this the WiFi should be all over your house.