Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless security...newbie question!

glosoldspot
Grafter

Wireless security...newbie question!

Hi all,
Just switched to Plusnet and this is my first time with a wireless router. My question is about router security settings. Is the Thomson router firewalled? If so is there any other means I need or should take to protect my internet/laptop security to help prevent others using and hacking into my router?
I'm very much not tech savvy so if anyone answers can they make it as 'layman terms' as possible please!!!
10 REPLIES 10
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Wireless security...newbie question!

The router does have a firewall and comes with protection to deter people from hacking into your router, no need to worry about that.
Always good to have anti virus and a firewall on your laptop too - do you currently have these?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

try to use wpa/wpa2 encpt on your wireless only only use wep if you have a device that will not connect  to your wireless using wpa encpt.
changing the default password to acess your routers web interface is allways a gd idea to
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Welcome to the forum glosoldspot.
Changing the admin password on the router as Asbo has said is very important as it helps to prevent outsiders from logging into your router and changing settings.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Santiago
Grafter

As well as wep and wpa security you can also set up an Access Control list (MAC address filtering). This will only allow  access from authorised computers's MAC addresses.
glosoldspot
Grafter

Ok...here goes!
I've got an anti virus programme and windows firewall.
Have absolutely no idea what wpa/wpa2 is....but I have heard about changing the admin password to access the router now you mention it.....is ringing some dusty bells.
Ok, I think you can guess what's coming next....how the frig do I do that??!? If anyone can explain I would be very grateful...I don't want to accidentally balls up my connection by fumbling around my router settings....trust me, without advice this is very likely!
I have to say, the plusnet community is very helpful and welcoming. Smiley
Santiago
Grafter

I believe this is the set up guide for your router and it includes details on how to set up a wireless connection
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/t585v7.shtml
Have a read through and then follow the guide accordingly. If you are not sure post back with any questions before you change anything.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I take it that you have a Thompson 585 router, you must have set the WPA to use it Wireless, or are you connected to the router by a Yellow Wire?
to get into the  585 type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar on your browser.  
You should have had an easy start booklet when you joined up.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Welcome to the forum glosoldspot.
Changing the admin password on the router as Asbo has said is very important as it helps to prevent outsiders from logging into your router and changing settings.

on the bottom of most wireless speedtouch routers is the ssid code and password this code is unique to your router only. saves trying to make up a code!!!
puddy
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

There is a pseudo-random password generator here.
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm new to broadband too - only connected yesterday - so please treat my advice accordingly....
....but I will speak in layman's terms, to explain my own early understanding, as I also shared your concerns about wireless security issues. If you've got the newer Thomson 585v7 (with the Plusnet firmware), then most likely, the setup guide which you've been following will have led you to select Plusnet as your provider in the easy Thomson Gateway setup. Selecting that option (probably recommended for the vast majority), results in your gateway being setup very quickly and easily. But as a consequence of taking the easy route, more advanced settings (such as changing the default admin password, and wireless security key) are not presented.
What happens instead is that your Thomson router begins using the default (but unique) WPA PSK wireless security key which is printed on the sticker on the bottom of your router. As I understand things anyway, where some new users may be getting confused, is when they are asked later (either by windows or a WiFi hardware utility) to enter the (same) security key - so that their WiFi (USB dongle, or card) can then communicate with the (already secure) router.
Returning to the security concerns which prompted your post. If you've understood how the Thomson router gets assigned with a default wireless security key, then your worries about possible hacking are not completely groundless. However unlikely, the sticker is of course accessible to anyone with a little knowledge, and malicious intent.
If you've also connected your router with an Ethernet cable, another available option which you may prefer, is to totally eradicate all security concerns, by disabling the wireless interface of your router (follow the Home Network, Interfaces, WLAN: Plusnet Wireless, Configure path from the Thomson homepage, and simply uncheck the 'Interface Enabled' box at the top).