cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router?

delphaeus

Wireless router?

A friend of mine is looking to join PlusNet but he wanted to know the make and model of the wireless router provided with the Option 3 package.
After speaking to PlusNet, they informed him that he would get a BT Voyager 2100 router. However, as I understand it, the router is not ADSL2 compliant, which doesn't mean much for anyone at the moment but it is quite old now.
I did see that PlusNet sell the 2110 model which has some upgraded features and looks a better option but he would have to pay £50 for that.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these models (or maybe other makes)? I'm not much use as I still have my old USB modem!
PS My friend has 1 PC and 2 laptops and plays games, browses and downloads so a good connection is a must!
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Re: Wireless router?

I wouldn't worry about being ADSL2 compliant just yet - its a good few years before BT will roll out the ADSL2 network.
Its rather like worrying about IPv6 - chances are it'll be a good few years before we need to worry about it.
A reasonable lifespan for a piece of IT kit is around 3 years - so chances are that your friend would have already swapped the router by then anyway.
Personally I'd go for Netgear kit anyhow - but the Voyager range is supposed to be pretty good. (And for free.... well, the price is right and all that!)
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: delphaeus
A friend of mine is looking to join PlusNet but he wanted to know the make and model of the wireless router provided with the Option 3 package.
After speaking to PlusNet, they informed him that he would get a BT Voyager 2100 router. However, as I understand it, the router is not ADSL2 compliant, which doesn't mean much for anyone at the moment but it is quite old now.
I did see that PlusNet sell the 2110 model which has some upgraded features and looks a better option but he would have to pay £50 for that.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these models (or maybe other makes)? I'm not much use as I still have my old USB modem!
PS My friend has 1 PC and 2 laptops and plays games, browses and downloads so a good connection is a must!

I got a speedtouch 716wl from plusnet.  I recommed it  is adsl2+ 4 port, wireless and to top it off you get voip phone access as well.  (free voip line and 250 minutes of free calls) price is about £55
Remember a free router is not really free you get tied in to a contract if you leave early you will get billed for your free router
Puddy
7th_star
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Remember a free router is not really free you get tied in to a contract if you leave early you will get billed for your free router
Puddy

I think thats a realy negative and perhaps pedantic view of what is in my mind a clearly attractive offer.
delphaeus

Thanks for the replies.
My friend will be taking up the option of a free modem in exchange for a 12 month contract. (After speaking to sales again, it turns out that the model is actually a BT Voyager 2110).
I've always had great service from PlusNet since I joined in... erm... I think it was 2002. Can't remember exactly, but the point is that my friend should hopefully have the same service.
I agree with PJ, you only have to pay the cost of the router if you leave, unlike with other ISP's who stick you in a 12 month contract with heavy penalities, and a less than acceptable service!
PS - I've just given another mate of mine a slap as he just signed up for a 24 month AOL contract just to get a free laptop! (BIG SIGH!) Undecided