Fixes: 1

Re: Wireless network security

BBC News article which seems relevant.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052223.stm
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since the OP will be setting up the security, it's quite possible to set the router up in such a way that he cannot access the router at all - unless he has access to a laptop which can link via ethernet cable into the router to "adjust" the incorrect wifi setting.
If you haven't got that laptop, then all you can do is to reset to manufacturer's settings and do the whole setup all over again.
I've seen software that requires SSID to be broadcast. I must say that most of my neighbours do so - encrypted or not. Broadcasting your SSID does not reduce your security by much.
You seem to have every possible security setting.
If your PC can take it, then WPA2, WPA, WEP in that order.
Probably time to skim through Wikipedia.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

RobDickson
Grafter

I'm surprised to see that the BBC considers WEP being broken to be news. It's not exactly new information.
I agree about WPA2>>WPA>>WEP.
I always make changes to my router using an ethernet cable, rather than wirelessly.
VileReynard
Hero

I'm so dumb!
It's not necessary for your router to be plugged into the BT socket when you do the configuration!!!
My teeth are always on edge whenever I change a setting on the router - but now I know different...
All you need is a power point and a piece of ethernet cable.
Once you've got it set up you can connect wirelessly to check that it will talk back to you.
Then you take it back to it's home by the BT socket and all will be well.
Don't forget to take a printout of the settings [in case you need to do it all over again]

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I applied a patch (KB917021) to support WPA2 on XP SP2.  Sorry, I'm not sure if a similar patch is needed for Vista.
David
RobDickson
Grafter

I wouldn't say "dumb". It's often easy to miss the obvious.
[Not meant to sound patronising, just in case you think it is]
mjtuohy
Grafter

Sorry to but in. I have wep enabled on my router but whenever I order or buy something  on line where I am going to be entering card numbers etc I use the main pc which is connected to my router by a ethernet cable. The router is still allowing the other pc's in the house to connect wirelesly while I do this. Have I got this correct that  my details are safe by doing it this way. Huh
VileReynard
Hero

AFAIK If you are using "secure access" - a https site (with a little padlock symbol), then you are secure, because all data is encrypted end to end.
http does not do this!

RobDickson
Grafter

As far as entering credit card details is concerned, whether you connect wirelessly, or using an ethernet cable, isn't really relevant.
If the site is secured using SSL (as described earlier), then even if somebody is spying on your wireless network, then they won't be able to get your credit card details.
If the site isn't secured using SSL, then even if you're using an ethernet cable, or WPA, then somebody will be able to spy on the traffic between the router and the website.
mjtuohy
Grafter

Thank's everyone.