cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless network drops out when second computer connects

RobChee

Wireless network drops out when second computer connects

Dear fellow members,
I wonder if anyone would be able to offer me some advice on this. I have two computers at home which link wirelessly to the Thomson router provided by Plusnet. Recently, when one is connected and the other connects, the wireless drops and both are disconnected. One is an XP machine, and the other a Windows 7 machine.
This problem has only occurred in the last week or so, and I cannot think that either computer has been changed in a way that might affect the connection. I did wonder if it was a DHCP issue, so I put both machines on a fixed IP, but that has made no difference.
Can anybody offer any suggestions as to the cause / cure?
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Wireless network drops out when second computer connects

Welcome to the forum. Is that the 585v8 you are referring to? Do you have any ethernet cables that you could connect one or both computers with to see if it's a wireless issue or modem/router problem?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

How you you restore wireless connectivity? If it is by rebooting your router you need to be careful because if you do it too often the exchange is likely to interpret the frequent disconnects as line instability and lower your speed to try and make it more stable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

RobChee

Thank both for your swift replies - very helpful.
The source of the problem was the power management setting on the network adapter. I've disabled it now, and the problem seems to have abated.
Thanks again  Smiley