cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless latency issues - Any suggestions welcome!

richrocksmy

Wireless latency issues - Any suggestions welcome!

Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm 99% confident that this isn't a Plusnet problem, more a router issue but was hoping that somebody on the forums might be able to shed some light on it...
I have a Plusnet connection with a Belkin router/modem (H/w: F5D8636-4 v2). There's two wired lan connections in use most of the time (they don't seem to suffer from these problems) and three wireless clients - Android phone (b/g/n), netbook (b/g/n) and laptop (b/g). The computers are running Windows 7 and XP respectively. The problem I have is that the wireless is terrible, it works fine for a while but will suddenly stop altogether requiring a restart of the router or lag very badly so all requests time out, but then come back after about 20 seconds and work fine again for a while. The frequency of these occurrences can range from every few hours to every couple of minutes.
Running a ping to the router and google (on a good day) at the same time shows router ping around 1ms and google at 15ms, when a spike occurs I can see that both pings increase almost exponentially before timing out around 4000ms. Sometimes I will then see the pings drop back down from 4000ms to 1ms and 15ms, other times they will be very erratic (ranging from 5ms to 300ms in consecutive pings!)
I know that the laptop and phone work correctly on other wireless networks as they frequently are and they work happily. I've scanned the wireless channels in the area and moved to a channel that nobody else is using (and I'm as far away as I can manage from other networks). I tried using protected mode to filter out any possible interference and I've also switched to b+g to rule out any problems with using n. Next step is to try disabling wireless and using a separate access point...
If anybody has any suggestions about fixing this I'd be very interested!
Rich
4 REPLIES 4
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Wireless latency issues - Any suggestions welcome!

Quote from: richrocksmy
I've scanned the wireless channels in the area and moved to a channel that nobody else is using (and I'm as far away as I can manage from other networks).

There might be a good reason why nobody else is using that channel.
richrocksmy

Fair point, but including the channel the router was on when problems started I've tried 3 different ones and it doesn't seem to have any affect...:-(.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Well from what you've said it's probably some issue with the belkin, perhaps wireless power saving working very badly, or the belkin scanning other channels at inconvenient times.
richrocksmy

Yeah, I have a suspicion that their implementation of the wireless network handling could do with some improving. Was hoping for a firmware update as the whole thing has been a bit patchy since we've had it but no luck!
I think that I'll switch the wireless off and use a separate AP and see how that goes, cheers for the help!
Rich