cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless.. is rubbish!

Devonian
Grafter

Wireless.. is rubbish!

Ok, I had fibre installed yesterday, so I have the tg582n plugged into the modem in the lounge, behind the tv.
The wireless is great if I'm within 10 - 12 foot, the modem is sync at 40/20 at the moment, and throughput on the wireless is around 38/19.
3 or 4 foot further away, and the throughput drops dramatically.
I also have a Netgear DGND3300v2 connected via a 20meter Ethernet to take the wireless upstairs.
When I connect to the Netgear with an ethernet, I am getting around 36down 18up, which is fine, but wireless is half that.
I think the netgear and tg582n may be up setting each others wireless.
Both are currently on auto channels, but I have gone through each number without any difference.
Due to the thick walls and old wiring in the house, we rely on wireless, especially upstairs quite heavily.

What I'm asking, is for any advice to extend the wireless/fix the poor throughput using my current set up.

Another thing I thought about was picking up a homehub 5, and replacing the wireless cards in the laptops with http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E7QGHE6/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADEIZ5DXXSR0Y
to improve the wireless coverage, would that work?
Am I talking nonsense?
Any advice?  Cool
16 REPLIES 16
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Wireless.. is rubbish!

Hi,
First I would not recommend putting a wifi device behind a TV.  A TV has lots of electronics in them, to say nothing of metal shields which will not do your wireless signal much good.
Down load inSIDDer 3 Home and look at the WiFi spectrum - see what other networks are using the channels.
Devolo dLAN (Ethernet over power) adapters are very good at addressing distributing WiFi. There are straight plug Ethernet adapters and wifi APs available.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Devonian
Grafter

I didn't explain as clearly as I should... my mistake.
My tv is mounted on the wall, and under it I have a small unit with the PS4/Xbox/BluRay. 
The router is on the unit, and the tv is around 2 foot above it, a slightly forward.
The problem with homeplugs for me, is my home used to be 2 flats, so upstairs electrics are on a different circuit to down stairs, hence why I run an ethernet upstairs.
I only have 2 other wifi signals to compete against, both are from next door, and both are on channel 11.
My set up worked fine until I plugged in the technicolour, hence why I thought about changing the router.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The router should be at least a foot away from any other electronic equipment. 
Second of all, have you heard how cheap the TG582N is? Any router is better than that.  So I suggest buying a well known brand router i.e. Netgear.
NorthEasterner
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I agree that your router is probably being screened by your TV & other devices. However, I quickly gave up using the Technicolour router & replaced it with an Asus RT-N56U. There are several threads on here which criticise the poor wireless range of the PN supplied router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's a but clearer and not so much of an issue.
Wifi can be temperamental.  I have two TG routers (one supplied for my residential service, the other - 2nd replacement - from my old business service) and a NG N300 (3300v2) dual band.  All work fine for most devices in he house, however the residential TG had problems maintaining connectivity with the Samsung printer.  The DG had problems connecting to the printer altogether (WPS Setup issues), bizzarly whilst setting up the other TG, the printer got he wifi details from that and then successfully connected to the (still operational) DG.  Also the NG DNS was very poor, not providing name resolution for locally connected devices.
The business TG is now looking after everything with no issues.  Take a look here - http://npr.me.uk/ - for a number of tweaks which can improve wifi performance. I have changed mine to 300Mbps.  The TG is not all bad as some make out.
As for dLAN devices, so long as the power circuits ave a common point, they should work.  These have been known to work through meters, cross phases... Places where they are claimed not to work... Yet recommended to be made secure so that neighbours cannot sneak onto ur network.  I'd be tempted to give them a try.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Devonian
Grafter

It's definitely not my tv, or any other electrical appliances causing any problems.
The wireless from the TG when the Netgear is off, almost doubles in range/throughput, but obviously I need the Netgear switched on to get wireless upstairs.
So it is definitely the 2 routers annoying each other.
I have a HH3 in the cupboard, tomorrow I will dig it out, and put in place of the Netgear and see what happens.
I haven't tried anything with an ac wireless connection, if I updated the laptops to an ac card, and got an ac router, would there be a significant change in the wireless range?  Or would I be better spending my money else where?
@Townman thanks for the link, there's some interesting reading there for tomorrows play time.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Download inSSIDer 3 home and look at the wifi networks around you.  Put each if your routers on clear networks as far apart as you can get them.
I don't think you need to go to the expense of the not yet ratified AC standards... And like anything brand new, they'll be top dollar.

Devonian
Grafter

Well after playing around today, and using inssider I have got to TG router in lounge on channel 1 with a link score of 98, and the DGND router upstairs is at it's best on channel 4 with a link score of just 55.

My neighbour had infinity installed yesterday, and has a home hub 5.  His wireless range is brilliant, the 1 router covers his whole house, so I'm going to buy a HH5.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Now you've fixed things suitable for your location, you might consider changing the thread's title?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Word of caution.
Signals can impact on range with 2 hub 5's in range.
Make sure smart wifi is on to minimise this impact.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Devonian
Grafter

I would love to change the thread title... but I have no idea how to!
Besides I stand by my title... the wireless range is rubbish. Wink
I think needing to use a second router to boost the signal in a average home is pretty poor going.
@NorthEastern I wont have 2 HH5'S in range so it shouldn't be a problem.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You can change the title by editing the first post.
What you need to cover your whole home depends on its construction and other wifi routers nearby.  I covered the whole of a sizeable pub with a TG582n - granted, there was no competing wifi routers around most of the area.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No he can't as he is way past the editing deadline
Just tell me what you want it changing to and I will fix it
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

You mentioned your neighbour had a HH5 so I guessed it would be in range in your house.
NE