cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless - constant disconnects/low speeds

katie
Grafter

Wireless - constant disconnects/low speeds

I've just raised a ticket about my wireless connection dropping and the signal being extremely low till it eventually disconnects. This is on 2 laptops, a smart phone & a netbook. I just wondered whether anyone else had the same problem. I changed to Plusnet Extra Fibre on 24/2/2012 and was getting a relatively good speed with my cable and with wireless.
Last week my laptop kept disconnecting from the wireless network. My network card and drivers are all OK.  Speedtest.net has dropped to less than 1Mbs upstream and down speed from a previous 23/7 speed via wireless. My desktop PC with a direct cable to the modem is recording about 43Mbs up/9Mbs downstream. In the same room next to the modem, my wireless signal is still only recording 13 up/5/downstream from a previous 29/8Mbs. I am at my wit's end trying to work out what has gone wrong. From using my laptop for years without a problem, I couldn't even send this ticket without taking the laptop upstairs to send it. The worst problem is that I am having constant disconnects from my wireless ip cameras which is an absolute pain. Anyone any ideas?
I'm using the Netgear N150 WNR1000v3. Laptop is a Dell N5030.
Katie
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Wireless - constant disconnects/low speeds

It sounds like interference may be a factor here so I'm going to advise that you try downloading and installing InSSIDer: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Firstly, don't worry i'ts not as complex as it looks, the idea is to see which wireless channels are most heavily in use in the vicinity. You may well find that changing to a different wireless channel with less or no local traffic may help with this.
Please let us know if not or if you need any help finding where to change this in the router's settings.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
katie
Grafter

Hi Adam, Thanks for the reply. I have got  the InSIDDer programme installed & I pick up 3 neighbouring BT connections all using channel 11. I have been trying different channels for a week now sich the problem started and I'm now using channel 4. This morning, I changed back from my Plusnet supplied Netgear to the ZyCEL which is connected by ethernet to my desktop PC  and I have my laptops connected by wireless. Upstairs in the office where the modem & router are situated,  I connect at 28.7/7.31 on this Dell Inspiron 5030 laptop - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2118804786.png. However, when I return to the lounge where I've used my laptop without a problem for over 12 years, the speed drops to 0.43/1.33 - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2118810435.png
Absolutely nothing has changed in the house which is detached and separated from the neighbours by maybe 30 metres so you can imagine my frustration at attempting to figure out what is wrong. dell have changed my network adapter and the lid of my PC (don't know why) and I've used 2 different routers on several channels. I really  hope you can help as I need to get a reliable wireless signal for my security cameras before I go away. Thanks for answering again. I have had no reply to my ticket  #58693765 from Plusnet yet.
Katie
katie
Grafter

Just to add another thing - my husband has just sat in the exact same place in the lounge and got 3 readings of just over 20Mbs. I think I need to get back to Dell and see whet they have done to my laptop.
Katie
katie
Grafter

Update - Dell are ringing shortly (I hope) to talk me through re-installing the Win 7 OS. I was using the reset to factory state & they think this may be corrupted so a really fresh install is required. We'll see.
Katie
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
OK, let us know how you get on with that an if you need any more assistance from ourselves.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
taras
Grafter

Quote from: katie
Update - Dell are ringing shortly (I hope) to talk me through re-installing the Win 7 OS. I was using the reset to factory state & they think this may be corrupted so a really fresh install is required. We'll see.
Katie

katie, make sure your data (aka, pictures, music and documents) are backed up. I don't know how the dell restore works the advice is apt.
katie
Grafter

Adam - sorry I've been so long getting back to you but couldn't remember my forum password and the emailer wouldn't send me the reset email. Anyway, I tried every password I have ever used & here I am.
After a long week's saga with Dell trying different things, it turns out that it was the coax in the lid of my laptop that was faulty. The lid's been replaced again but with a single co-ax adapter rather than the dual one which the tech's ordered. They are calling again tomorrow with the correct wireless adapter and lid and hopefully I will be flying!! Even replacing the single co-ax lid has improved the performance tremendously and I'm hoping the dual co-ax lid & adapter will improve it even more. Thank You to this Plusnet forum and the people who respond to tickets - you've been more than patient while I sorted out why the signal had dropped to an unuseable level. I've been with Plusnet for almost ten years now and it it due to this forum & the support people that I am still here.
Katie Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much for letting us know, glad it's now all sorted Smiley Please do pop back if there's anything else we can do or indeed if you just fancy a chat.