cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

TDK
Dabbler

Re: Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

I've got similar problems to those listed above with my v8 router.
I joined PlusNet and couple of weeks ago and purchased the Thompson wireless router as part of the package to replace a similar O2 unit on that's now gone back.
Since plugging it in and setting it up I've had nothing but trouble with the wireless connection - dropping signal, rejected passwords for no reason before connecting, limited connectivity on my laptop and random disconnection on numerous devices.
I've checked I'm on a clear channel that isn't being used by the neighbours (I'm on 1, they're on 6 and 11, so that's fine) and get good signal strength around the house, but still have problems.
One thing I have noticed is that if I switch to WEP, rather than WPA, I don't seem to have anywhere near as many problems with key authentication.  However, I'm not prepared to continue with WEP as it's just not secure.  The other cure is to reboot the router, but that's not practical every couple of hours!
These wireless problems are driving me mad as I've got eight devices that I can't connect any other way!  Angry
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@TDK
Does the pattern of key authentication problems change if you select (and Apply) either WPA or WPA2 (only, rather than both) in the WPA-PSK Version box at the bottom of the configuration page?
David
TheMacca
Dabbler

I actually tried this, changed to WPA2 then to WPA but still get the same behaviour.
I haven't tried changing to WEP yet, that's my next port of call when I get back.
jim:quote
TDK
Dabbler

Agreed - tried WPA then WPA2 then both and there's no difference.
jim:quote
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks. Have you tried using shorter SSIDs?
David
TDK
Dabbler

Yes; currently using an 8 character SSID, but have also tried a 4 character SSID - it makes no difference.
AndrewD
Grafter

Just as an update, for my situation.  I reverted back to an old ADSL2+ wireless router and have not experianced any difficulties reconnecting from my laptop and the wireless upload speed obtained  from the laptop returned back to normal levels (~370kbps).  It was ~180kbps from the 585v8. 
It really appears that there is a problem with the wireless functionality of this model modem / router or at the very least a compatability problem with certain wireless cards.
I would appreciate a fix when available, as I have a new wireless modem router that is not really useful to me for anything other than a paper weight at the present time.
Tks,
AndrewD
GlynArmstrong
Dabbler

I have also had problems with my Thomson router. When I initially set it up (a week ago) I had problems getting it to accept the key. since then I have had to restart the router once and I have also noticed that the upload speed is very low.
rishigudka

I recently got the new v8 and initially didnt experience too many issue (just taking a minute or two to connect when turning my laptop on). However, this morning the connection dropped completely. The broadband light and wireless lights are now flashing repeatedly and resetting or turning the router hasnt done nything at all to resolve this issue. After reading other posts - i cannot tell whether I am experiencing the same problem or if there is a specific issue with my line. It took a month to get an engineer to install the line in the first place and now have still dont have a reliable internet connection. I need to have this resolved immediately because I honestly am fed up of Plusnet's service.
TheMacca
Dabbler

Quote from: TheMacca
I actually tried this, changed to WPA2 then to WPA but still get the same behaviour.
I haven't tried changing to WEP yet, that's my next port of call when I get back.

I just changed to WEP128.  For the first time ever, the password is accepted straight away AND my airport express is now able to join the network (again for the first time since putting the Thompson live).
Sound like an issue with WPA or WPA2?
//ian
TDK
Dabbler

So what is happening with this please?Huh
As it stands I have a wireless router that I paid for that doesn't do what it advertises.  I'd like one that works or I think I'd like my money back for the router!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Guys,
Thanks for all the responses. I can see that you're all having various issues with the V8. In order for me to now collate these with other examples I already have I would appreciate it if you could now post your issues like this...
Example....
Device: Laptop
Make: Dell
Issue: Drops connection/refuses password/never connected
In the event your device is a printer etc. leave the OS as n/a
Thank you all for your help.
Jojo Smiley
TDK
Dabbler

Make: Apple
Issue: Drops connection then refuses password multiple times before eventually reconnecting (WPA/WPA2)
Make: Lenovo
Issue: Drops connection then refuses password multiple times before eventually reconnecting (WPA/WPA2)
Device: iPad x 2
Device: iPhone
Device: Mobile Phone
Make: LG Optimus 7
Device: Mobile Phone
Make: HTC Desire
Device: Printer
Make: Xerox 6125N
Issue: Drops connection then requires router reset to reconnect - after that it stays connected for only 10-15 minutes (WPA/WPA2)
youngsyp
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Make: Dell
Issue: Drops connection/refuses password/never connected
All included in my post.  Smiley
Paul
barky
Grafter