Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

Hi aaronmaas,
Welcome back. Although i don't remember you from the first time around as I was only 16! Wink
Thanks for the information, I will add it to my list.
Jojo Smiley
barky
Grafter

Will there be a fix for windows users before 2011? .... am in a position here where I  can't be sure big files like mp3 albums will fully download fully without signal dropping Cry
OK it could partly be the cold doing things to BT wires, never happened last winter though!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi barky,
We're not certain that it is definitely a firmware issue as such, and I have only just over 20 issues at the moment. The fact that we have well in excess of 20,000 of these units out there means that only a minute percentage are affected. However, we will soon be publishing the firmware that has been fixing the mac device wireless issue so you guys will be more than welcome to see if it fixes your issue, I suppose.
Jojo Smiley
barky
Grafter

trawling other forums etc it seems Thomson has one of the worst reputations for faults/glitches for its wireless broadband products & I do know a few folk who've never got them to work well (admittedly it could be end users messing about a bit in frustration as well) BUT I've not meddled, giving PN a chance to find the fix  ... so as you say it might not be the firmware ... it could be the hardware inside .... could also be be linked to BT cable distance I suppose, those with problems perhaps in outlying areas (like me) or buildings with less than ideal lines?
Have another modem/router on order .... which as things are going right now might be here by spring Shocked  .... will be interesting to see if a netgear product does any better .... might not!
Nobby10

Hi Jojo,
Device: Laptop (Macbook Pro)
Make: Apple
Problem: I've been having the issues with the invalid password for the wireless after the laptop wakes from sleep, with restarting the laptop fixing the issue. I've also got a discrepancy in the upload speed:
Today 15:58 5800 kbps (725kB/s) 377 kbps (47.1kB/s) Wired
Today 15:52 5759 kbps (720kB/s) 36 kbps (4.5kB/s) Wireless
Will the fix work for both these issues?
Nobby
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nobby10,
I can raise the wireless connectivity issue to be fixed but I'd be really interested to know if it sorts out the upload issue, so you must let me know as there are a couple of others having the same problem.
Jojo Smiley
Nobby10

Thanks Jojo. I'll keep you posted about the upload issue. Do you know when the update is likely to happen?
Nobby
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have not been following this thread closely but just returned from a client who got a new Plusnet Thomson router a just a few weeks ago.  She had frequent problems establishing an internet connection, both on a Vista laptop and an Apple iPad.  When I arrived the Vista laptop had established a "limited connectivity" wireless connection so it was shown as connected to the router but the DHCP hadn't worked properly so it had a default Windows IP address, not the correct network one.  The router seemed to be working normally when I established a wired connection to it.  Therefore I assume the problems my client reported were all similarly wireless-related since all her devices connect wirelessly.
Going by something I read earlier, I changed the wireless SSID from PlusnetWireless******* to PW** and that seemed to do the trick, at least in the short term.  Can somebody please recap if there is something else I should have done?     
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Read the protocol, so my client's problem is:
Device: Laptop
Make: Toshiba
Issue: Frequent "limited connectivity" - may have been fixed by shortening the SSID
Device: iPad
Make: Apple
Issue: Frequent no internet connection - not fixed by shortening the SSID
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ReedRichards,
I will get this upgraded for you and you can tell me if it sorts both laptops out.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Nobby10,
This has now been completed, can you tell me how it went. Did it cure the wireless and the upload?
Jojo Smiley
Nobby10

Hi Jojo,
It appears to have fixed both the wireless and the upload speed issues :). Thanks!
Nobby
barky
Grafter

Well ... here's a shocker (well not really) ... Netgear router arrived today & everything seems to work now  Cheesy Grin Cool Cool
Doubt I'll have to ask for any help for at least a year now  Lips_are_sealed
jcs1984

well ive just reflashed firmware and seems to be working fine for now.
i was having limited connectivity issues
reias

Hi we havent been following this forum but we have a V8 router and do experience connection problems. It seems to be when we power down our laptops or shut the lid (causing the internet to disconnect)  when we power back up we get limited connectivity. We have never had any problems with any other router and have tried two different  V8's. Are there any solutions we could try to sort it apart from changing the IP address and internet channels? We have a sony vaio on vista and a toshiba on vista. Considering the majority of the time we cannot connect to the internet without turning the router off (which is extremely inconvenient) the service plus net are providing is not really good enough.
Thanks
Rei