Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

Hi all,
We've seen a few of issues lately with wireless connectivity and the new Thomson V8. If you seem to be having wireless issues that are exclusive to the V8 then please post here so we can collate some examples.
Thank you.
Jojo Smiley
194 REPLIES 194
moby

Re: Wireless connectivity on the Thomson V8

Hi JOjo
Thanks for attending to my post so promptly. I am copying my earlier post on this thread to keep the momentum
"Hi There
Just joined plusnet two days ago and interestly enough having similar issues with Thomson router on my Dell Vista laptop. Everytime upon starting the laptop I have to restart router for the connection. Also, I am currently getting only 0.4mbps speed. Have lodged the matter with faults and awaiting solution.
Any suggestions on the above issues?"
Regards
Moby
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi moby,
Thanks. We'll collate a few more examples about the wireless but as for your speed I'll look into it and post the reply on your original thread.
Jojo Smiley
AndrewD
Grafter

Yes, I seem to have problems.
i) Very difficult and tempormental to reconnect laptop to 585 following power down or restart of laptop.  Connects with limited connectivity and requires router wireless functionality restart to reconnect.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,90738.0.html
ii) Upstream throughput also seemed to halve after 3 days use from 370kbs to ~180kbps and will not return to normal levels.  Ethernet demonstartes expected levels of upstream throughput as does downstream wireless.  
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91119.0.html
AndrewD
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks AndrewD,
we're looking to find a pattern here and hopefully be able to roll out a fix if possible.
Jojo Smiley
john50
Grafter

Re: Thomson router

I know you said v8 Jojo but I and I believe some others have had some issues with the wireless side of later v7 very rarely will it connect after I have looked at the router home page or it  has discconnected for whatever reason, ethernet is ok but it will only usually reconnect the wireless after a reset through the "pinhole"  wireless is not even shown as available on the laptops (mesh/msi and packard bell)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI john50,
for the moment we're concentrating on the v8 as it's the new one we're supplying. However AFAIK any bugs with the v7 should have been fixed with the latest firmware which you can view here. You can see what software version your router has on your router homepage and for more wireless tips visit our help guide.
Jojo Smiley
moby

Hi Jojo
Any resolve to the problem ? It's very inconvenient to restart the router everytime one wants to use wirless on the laptop.
Appreciate your feedback
Regards
Moby
gillig
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
I'm suffering the dreaded Limited Connectivity issue again!  Sad
Tried the two fixes you gave me before again, but when my laptop has been switched off for any length of time (for example overnight), the only fix is to switch the router off for 10 seconds or so, then on again before I get full connectivity.
On Windows Vista Home Premium.
Cheers Smiley
TheMacca
Dabbler

Mine often rejects the wireless key a number of times before accepting it.
This happens under OS X, Win 7, Airport Express, PS3 and X360.
I've tried setting the channel manually and auto but it still does this at random.
xRainex
Grafter

I also have this problem  Sad
When I start up my laptop I get "Limited Connectivity" and the only way to fix it is to turn the V8 off and on again, which is getting really annoying.  Undecided
Theres 2 other laptops in my house as well but they seem to be able to wirelessly connect to the internet straight away, so I don't know why mine has such a problem.
youngsyp
Grafter

Hi,
Good idea this thread.  Smiley
I've been having intermitent 'limited connectivity' issues with my Sony Vaio laptop with a 32 bit version of Vista SP2 installed. And uses a LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E adapter for wireless duties.
The router is a TG585v8 and it's on firmware version 8.2.7.7.
When the issue occurs, I'm unable to connect to the router wirelessly.
I can change various configuration items in the router GUI but, the issue still pops up every now and again. The only way to rectify the issue, when it occurs, is to connect to the router via ethernet cable go into the router's GUI and change a WLAN setting. It doesn't matter what setting and once the laptop successfully connects wirelessly again, I'm able to change that setting back without issue.
I've noticed that if you don't let the laptop communicate with the router before firing up a web browser, the issue is more persistent.
Thanks,
Paul
jcs1984

on my second day with plusnet and I'm having same issue with limited connectivity.
i have sony vaio running vista and have to continuously reset router then do set up process over again.
iphone, ps3 and xbox all connect without problems but my laptop wont.
I'm pretty computer illiterate so wouldnt have a clue how to change settings without step by step guide
has it been determined what the problem is yet and how to resolve it? as it getting on my nerves already
cartman
Grafter

Add me too the list,  limited connectivity and rejects correct key 4 times then accepts it?
Running Windows 7
No problem when connecting via Ipod Touch.
Given up using the wireless and turn it off, using a Netgear WGT624 + Thomson for the wireless part..
barky
Grafter

struggling slightly last few days with a V8 --- which arrived day after Jojo ordered it for me  Shocked
on a vista machine broadband connection drops quite often, with wireless connection saying its 99% strength .... only way to get connection back is to unplug router for 10secs or so & wait for it to re-establish connection ... then all works for a while!
MOST puzzling bit -- have a Win7 machine whose connection doesn't drop (apart from daily at 2300) -- but it recovers connection without going near V8