cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection

dawnhome

Wireless connection

My broadband was switched on last night, but I can't connect wirelessly - says that the key is incorrect.  I have tried every password, pin Wep key etc and done them lower and upper case and it's not having it.
I ended up connecting using the ethernet but even this keeps going off.
Any suggestions please?
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Wireless connection

Hi Dawnhome Smiley
I imagine from looking at your account that you are using the Thomson. If that's the case then what you should do is...
1. Open internet explorer or your preferred browser
2. In the Address bar type 192.168.1.254 (if you are asked for a username and password then username=admin, Password=CP********(which can be found on the underside of your router - case sensitive)
3. In the menu on the left select 'Home network'
4. In the main screen click WLAN - you will now see a screen entitled Wireless access point.
5. in the top right click 'configure'
6. Make sure all the tick boxes are selected and towards the bottom you will see the WPA-PSK Encryption key - I would recommend copying and pasting this to avoid any errors.
Hopefully this should sort matters out for you.
Let's know how you get on.
Jojo Smiley
dawnhome

Thanks Jojo,
I'm sure i triend that last night, but i'll give a go again later - thanks for that.  Do I need to worry about the internet crashing.  While I was connected with the ethernet cable - it was crashing once every couple of minutes?  After reading some of the other posts on here, it suggests this could be a problem?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dawnhome, having looked at your account it appears that you only started with us yesterday. I checked your connection logs and I can see all the dropped connections throughout the evening. However, your connection has now been stable since 11pm yesterday so that's a lot better. When you first start a broadband connection there is a 10 day training period which is essentially for the systems to establish the maximum stable rate your line is capable of by analysing the line at various times during this period.
I see you have raised a fault ticket, but from your answers it has identified an authentication issue which is not your issue. I have sent the ticket back to you with a list of questions to see if there is any reason for your intermittent connections. We can look into this but are unable to raise the fault to BT during your 10 day initial period as line speed/connection can be inconsistent during this time.
Hope that clarifies a few things for you.
Jojo Smiley
dawnhome

11.00 pm is the time I switched off the laptop - so i've not used the internet since then.  This would explain it not crashing again!  It doesnt fill me with much hope though.
If it keeps crashing the same as it did last night, do I really need to wait 10 days?  thats really bad.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Dawnhome. Yeah, 10 days, I know Sad  Unfortunately this is the norm for ISP's operating on a BT network. If you continue to have the connection drops then just answer the questions I sent you on the ticket (The answers will help us narrow down what the potential issue may be) and we can look into it a bit more for you.
Jojo Smiley
dawnhome

I did as suggested and on the thrid attempt it connected.  However, although I am connected to the router, it is not connected to the internet.  I have tried turning the power off and on and using the reset button holding it down until it turns red, but its just not connecting.
However, it works fine with the ethernet connected & my iPhone is connected and working on the wi-fi
Any more suggestion please?
dawnhome

Don't worry, I managed to get this sorted over the weekend.  Just out of interest.....are these forums not manned at weekends?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We work monday to friday, but you will find us popping on from time to time over the weekend. However you will usually find that the moderators and other members will chip in to help with many queries.
P.S. Glad you got it sorted.
Jojo Smiley