cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection

fgorwood
Dabbler

Wireless connection

Please could you help me. I’m a teacher trying to work from home on Google Apps such as Google drive. I cannot upload any files to google drive and when working online my connection constantly drops (usually immediately when I open google drive/docs or slides). I have been a plus net customer for a number of years but only ever had an updated router once. Could this be causing the problem? Please advise as at the moment it is proving impossible for me to use the internet for work at home.
Many thanks
F Gorwood
30 REPLIES 30
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Wireless connection

@fgorwood Welcome to the forums. Which router do you have, and what is your speed like? If you give us that information, we can possibly make suggestions. Is it possible to use an ethernet connection?

John
fgorwood
Dabbler

I have used an Ethernet cable but still have the same problem trying to upload anything. My router is a Plusnet 2704N but I’m not sure how to find the speed ?
jab1
Legend

Thanks for coming back, @fgorwood . If you are on ADSL, trying to upload whilst simultaneously download, you will almost certainly fail, especially using the 2704N - it suffers from excessive 'buffer-bloat' which will effectively lock it up.

To determine your speed run https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , ensuring you run the 'further diagnostics', and paste thefinal results into a reply.

John
fgorwood
Dabbler

Please see attached image. I can't seem to find out my Broadband ID or access line ID so have not been able to run the further diagnostic test. I don't know if the attached file helps?

jab1
Legend

No file attatched - and you use your landline phone number in the correct field.

John
fgorwood
Dabbler

Here is the performance test report. Many thanks for trying to help.

jab1
Legend

OK - those figures don't look too good, so we need to delve a little deeper.

A good starting point is to have a look at THIS  post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

Sorry the process is long-winded, but without PN staff support, the Community members have to work on the information we can get.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@fgorwood what is your line capable of? 

If you enter your number in the dsl checker below, post the results making sure you hide your number:

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Mustrum - that would be a further question I would ask, if the results from my request threw up queries - often, I have found they don't need to go that far as the reports requested usually pinpoint an obvious error.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@jab1  i just thought it would be good to know what the OP was working with. Looking at the IP profile, it would be a struggle running those apps even if they were getting close to those speeds, hence looking to see if there was any other options.

jab1
Legend

OK @Mustrum , I see your point - and have just added the request for future queries of this nature to my template, so thanks.

John
fgorwood
Dabbler

• The previously attached information was when I was using and ethernet cable. I can barely keep a wifi signal to run the test without.

I think below is the line speed

• Estimated Download Range: 1.5 - 4Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 1Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 0.8Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 4Mbps

Attached is the BT speed test

I can't find is the Router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream). The link takes me to the FAQ page

fgorwood
Dabbler

Sorry just to say I don't have a phone attached to the landline but I did ask for a line test not so long ago and there was no problem with it apparently.

jab1
Legend

OK. From what you have posted, @fgorwood , you appear to be at the end of a VERY long line out in the wilds, Hopefully, a look at your availability report will confirm this.

John