Did you mean: 

Wireless connection using TP-Link modem/router

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Wireless connection using TP-Link modem/router

Ah, Hi barretter
I was just about to post when I saw you last one, so a couple of ideas -
If you have the PN Firewall turned on, you can always turn it up to a higher setting if you're bothered, but you can then turn off your computer firewall to see if that helps.
If your old Voyager USB was installed as a dial-up connection, did you set "never dial a connection" as posted by Paul03 earlier?
Leaving the driver installed shouldn't make a difference BUT as it was part of AOL9 you might have to completely uninstall all AOL9. I presume you're using IE which you might then have to re-install, but it should be OK. Download Firefox or another browser that you can install just in case things go wrong.
Back to the Firewall, which one are you using? You might need to make sure that the computer is connected to the (switched on) router before you boot the computer so that the firewall correctly finds everything.
Hope some of this may help.
Regards.
barretter
Dabbler

I had been using a free version of Zone Alarm until the problem with the Microsoft DNS security patch, when I got rid of it,  I have now is the XP firewall. I haven't used AOL for some years but they did supply the Voyager modem when I started using broadband. I'm not quite sure what the rest of your email implies, but I might try again with the main computer tomorrow.  In the meantime the Asus PC says that my TP-Link is unsecured so I would be interested to know what to do to secure it.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi again,
There is an updated version of Zone Alarm that was issued a couple of days after the problem if you want it, it all seem related to a cockup between M$ and Checkpoint systems.  I assume you are talking about the main PC, try turning off the M$ firewall then and see if that makes any difference.
If you have a correctly configured router (from the ADSL point of view) you should be able to plug any computer in via the Ethernet connection without any problem. Do you have an Ethernet connection on your main PC you could try? Did you check that "Connection Settings" by the way?
Re AOL - their installation used to be quite "intrusive" to try an explain simply, in terms of the way they integrated into your system. As the driver was part of this it may not be possible to uninstall it without uninstalling the whole AOL9. It should uninstall cleanly, but it Might leave you without a working Internet Explorer (IE) which is why I suggested getting Firefox or whatever you could install if you got that problem until you could "repair" IE.
A friend of mine uninstalled AOL a while ago and had no problem, but I've not done it for myself, maybe someone else who's done it or knows for certain can comment on that.
With regard to your TP-Link being unsecure, this will be your wireless security and unless you have configured your security it could be wide open. I'm afraid I can't help you on that one. Some one like MickKi would be the best person the help on that.
Regards.
MickKi
Grafter

I assume since you didn't make it clear, that your Asus connects wirelessly to your router.
I also assume that you have not set up WPA2, WPA, or WEP encryption on your router's wireless interface.  In that case all connections to it will be unecrypted by any PC that has a WiFi adaptor in your neighborhood.  You could say then that the WiFi connection is insecure.  Your Internet connection on the other hand is pretty secure with the PN filter Firewall, the router's NAT firewall and your PC's software firewall.
If you want to secure your wireless router's interface, then connect to it via a browser, navigate to the wireless page, enable encryption and set a passphrase/key (which ever your router happens to work with).  Make a note of the key and enter it in your PC's wireless connection when it asks you to.
With regards to your PC not being able to connect wirelessly you seem to have accumulated quite some unecessary evil software on that machine that it interferes with your adaptors (wired or wireless).  Unless you are able to remove them perhaps it's time to reinstall?
Hope this helps.
barretter
Dabbler

Thanks for your contributions, chaps. I'll try to incorporate some of them tomorrow.
barretter
Dabbler

Yes, I am now connecting the main computer to the  internet via the modem/router and an ethernet cable. Success!
MickKi
Grafter

Result!  Smiley
Now check this page out to configure encrypted wireless connections to the router for use with your laptop.
barretter
Dabbler

I seem to have managed to make it a secure connection by a slightly different route ; anyway Windows says it is a secured connection now. I have also . managed to connect the main computer wirelessly with a TP-Link USB plug-in card. I am sure the problems were caused by the Zone Alarm firewall. Thanks for all the help.