cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection using TP-Link modem/router

paulby
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection using TP-Link modem/router

Firstly make sure your router is connected by an RJ45 ethernet cable and not USB.
Go to Control Panel > Internet Options and select the Connections Tab.  About halfway down make sure that "Never Dial A Connection" is selected.
Go back to Control Panel and then select Network Connections
Under LAN or High Speed Internet right click on Local Area Connection and make sure that it's enabled. (If it's disabled it should say so next to it.)
Under Dial Up Connections right click and uncheck "Default Connection" on any that are showing as a default connection (or just delete them if you're not going to use them again).
Also right click and disable the WAN miniport connection if it's showing (sometimes under VPN).
Your PC should now only connect via its ethernet connection to the router.
barretter
Dabbler

OK I did all that but the computer did not connect to Plusnet via the modem/router. What else do I need to do?
MickKi
Grafter

You need to configure your router to login in to your PlusNet account.  It would probably be quicker (and easier?) if you either followed the instructions on the PlusNet portal or rang PlusNet Support and they walk you through it.
barretter
Dabbler

I don't quite understand why I would need to do that as I've entered my log-in details into the router, but then I understand very little about this wireless malarkey - it's not exactly user-friendly.
James
Grafter

Hi Barreter,
A few things I'd suggest trying.
Firstly, make sure that you are connected to your router using an ethernet cable when you are trying to set it up.  Sometimes you get little hiccups when trying to configure wireless hardware wirelessly initially.
Make sure that *all* of your connections in your "Network Connections" control panel are removed and disable any internal dial up modems you might have.  also uninstall the BT Voyager software (after removing it from the USB port in your computer.
In the internet options control panel, go to the connections tab and make sure that never dial a connection is selected (if it isn't already greyed out).  Also, click on the LAN settings button and make sure that everything is deselected and then click on the ok button a couple of times.
Then go back to the web console on your router, which you'll be able to access from either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
And you should then be able to reenter your broadband settings and HOPEFULLY things should actually work.  L:ike I said, it does sound rather like there's been a dial up connection configured on your computer that's not suitable for broadband in this country that's causing your connection to not work.
barretter
Dabbler

Dear James, thanks for your phone call and for this post. The problem with this scenario is that when I try to remove the BT Voyager 105 modem software I get the following error message : "Can't get registry value: key=Software\GlobespanVirata\Add value = srcPath" and the attempt ceases. Is there a workaround for this? There is certainly no other modem in the computer (I put it together myself). Thanks, David Mansell
James
Grafter

Thanks David.
Do you still have the CD that came with your Voyager 105?  It may be possible to uninstall the modem drivers using the CD that it came with instead?
I did try searching on google for that error message but unfortunately I didn't have any luck 😕
barretter
Dabbler

Dear James, the modem came from AOL when I used them for broadband and I have the AOL 9 CD. I did manage to make the modem arrows on the taskbar go red by using the CD but I don't think it completely uninstalled the software. I'll have another go tomorrow because it's all just making my head hurt at the moment. Thanks, David
James
Grafter

This might work!
If you look in the driver folder or the AOL CD, find the "doctor 105" double click this and the drivers should uninstall!
barretter
Dabbler

Ah yes, I came across that when researching the Voyager 105 modem but it doesn't seem to be on the AOL9 CD unfortunately.
barretter
Dabbler

I  am currently typing this on my Asus Eee PC connected to the web via the TP-Link modem/router. All I did was plug the phone-line into the modem and turn the Asus on. Then I was automatically connected without going through any filling in of user names or passwords. So (a) I presume this is a very insecure coonection ; and (b) how did it happen?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
This to me means that you had successfully configured your router and your computer connected to the router as should happen.
It isn't insecure, it just means that if you plug a computer into your router, it allows you to connect to the internet.
barretter
Dabbler

...but then I tried to add my main computer to the wireless network using a USB flash drive and the whole thing went down again! Back to square 1, but at least there are some glimmerings of light.
James
Grafter

I still think that's because of your Voyager software preventing you from being able to use your ethernet/wireless connection.
barretter
Dabbler

Well, I'm back on with the Asus having done a system restore on both computers. I'm sure you're right about the Voyager software but I have yet to find a way of removing it. In my many searches on this topic I did come across a suggestion that it might be a firewall sending the message - any comment on that?