cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection intermittent

johnfarrar
Dabbler

Wireless connection intermittent

For over a year I have had trouble free Internet wireless connection from my PC to my Belkin router. In the last few days, often the wireless connection is not made despite the connection showing in Network Connections with excellent signal strength.
I can connect everytime using a LAN.  Earlier there was no wireless connection and suddenly there was.  Any ideas please?  Thanks
John
21 REPLIES 21
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection intermittent

Try changing the channel the router uses for transmission. You can use 1, 6 or 11 in the UK (although some of the others may work). Your wireless device will automatically pick up the correct channel.
Most wireless systems have an option to show local wireless devices (so you can find one to connect to) and their channel so choose a channel not being used by another device.
You may be getting interference from some other equipment or your neighbours or something outside that is affecting / interfering with the signal.
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestions Peter.  I have changed the channel with no change.  I can connect through the LAN cable no problems but the wireless connection does not make and more often than not is not shown at available networks.  I am beginning to think that the PCI wireless card is faulty.
Thanks
John
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you using the Belkin software to manage your wireless connection?  I had a problem with that telling me of "limited connectivity" (no Internet) on an old laptop, however the Windows Zero built in Wireless Manager worked fine (XP SP2).  Eventually I fixed the problem by reinitialising the TCP/IP stack.
David
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice.  I have the Belkin software installed but don't use it, preferring Windows to manage the connections.  How do I 'reinitialise the TCP/IP stack'? 
Thanks
John
PS I'm thinking the PCI card is faulty as my laptop connects with the router no problemo.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

To reset the TCP/IP stack on my Windows XP SP2 laptop I ran a software application called WinsockXPfix.exe that I downloaded from the Internet.  I can't remember where I downloaded it from but one website I found using Google that gives instructions is here.
The file I used is 1.37MB, and author "Option^Explicit Software Solutions", the same as claimed on the referenced site.  Also I have a C:\ERDNT registry backup folder as described on that site, so I've no reason to doubt the authenticity of the file.
However it is an executable file, please satisfy yourself about its safety before you run it.
Prior to running that "fix" file the Windows Zero wireless management application allowed connection to the Internet but Belkin's manager would only connect to the router (describing the connection as "limited connectivity").  After I ran the "fix" both managers supported Internet connectivity.
If you do try the file I'd appreciate feedback here to let me know the result.
David
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Thanks spraxyt.  I have tried the file you suggested and at the moment it seems to have fixed the problem.  I am sure that something got corrupted as my laptop connects through the router everytime and my LAN works everytime. Only time will tell.  I'll report back as soon as I have tested the fix a bit longer.  Thanks again.
John
PS I also have a harddrive problem with ALL my backup files on it but that's another story!!!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Thanks, I'm glad to hear the fix worked for you too.  Sadly the harddrive one isn't so easily solved.
David
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Me again!  I spoke too soon of course.  Since my last post I have been fault finding and restoring following my 2 hardrive problems.  Windows XP Pro is up and running again, having reverted to a backup made nearly 3 years ago when I built the PC. (Its been running well since then)
I am still at the same situation i.e I cannot use my wireless network connection, from PC to router, to access the Internet.  My LAN works OK through the router and my laptop uses the wireless connection to the router.  In WNC the signal from the PCI G+ card is full strength but I cannot connect to it.  The router has encryption on it but I know what the key is of course.  I've even tried disabling the encryption with no difference.  I've run the fix file again with no improvement.
Thinking that the PCI wireless card may be faulty I got a replacement from PC World as the original was under warranty.  No difference.
Any ideas guys?  Thanks
John
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Using my Belkin Wireless Utility (I have been using Windows XP to manage the wireless connection) I found an Advanced section and got these reults from a Ping Test
ID; Gateway and DNS all Failed
Loopback; WAN; Heartbeat; Belkin and Yahoo all passed.
Is that any help?
Thanks
fransorci
Grafter

You haven't recently installed or uninstalled anything like Norton or Mcafee have you?
johnfarrar
Dabbler

No, I don't have anything like that on my PC.
It's early days but I maaayy have solved it. I uninstalled the Belkin wireless card and software. Re-booted, reinstalled the Belkin s/w, shut down and moved the wireless card to another slot, rebooted and the install software loaded more files off the CD which had not happened before.  ATM it is working but its early days so fingers crossed.
Thanks
John
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Damn!!!! No connection again, only through my LAN.
John
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sorry, I can only think of a "clutching at straws" solution.  Is there any possiblity that one of the cables inside your PC is damaged or not properly seated?  Especially one connected with the PCI sockets.
David
johnfarrar
Dabbler

Thanks again spraxyt. I'm beginning to think it is something in Windows XP Pro that is causing the problem.  I read on the web that the Wireless Zero Configuration (should be Zero Wireless Config!!) causes intermittent problems.  However, I have switched to the Belkin Wireless Utility which handles the wireless network with no improvement so .........
My next task is to back up the hard drive and then uninstall all the Windows updates to see what happens.  As you say "clutching at straws"
Cheers
John