Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless connection dropping

Interested
Grafter

Wireless connection dropping

Hi!
Can anyone advise why the wireless connection from my BT Voyager 2110 keeps dropping off when my daughter is online gaming? Additionally, it may be unrelated, but my printer has decided to stop printing wirelessly from my laptop.
Many thanks in advance for replies.
Attempting to diagnose any problems I came up with this:

Test the connection to your ADSL service provider
Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS 
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: FAIL 
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: FAIL 

It's probably unrelated but I'm no great techno
11 REPLIES 11
Interested
Grafter

Re: Wireless connection dropping

A quick "Google" seems to suggest that the "FAIL" tests are not the problem.
It is interesting that router says it has been connected for 20 hours (2 hours 56 mins when I posted yesterday) but I didn't manually switch off the router.
Daughter still complaining of intermittent lost wireless connection and I've given up trying to print wirelessly.
Hey hoe!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Maybe the channels that you are currently using have strong interference from a neighbour's router?
Interested
Grafter

Possibly. I have checked the local wireless connections which show on my laptop and all are only at 1 bar signal strength. Are they likely to interfere still?
If so, is it possible to change channels on my router and how would I change the wireless channels?
Thanks.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Your best bet would read this: http://www.inssider.com/helper/
Anotherone
Champion

Another helpful (not) post goldenfibre. Changing channels was the query.
And the answer is I'm not certain as the manual doesn't seem to say and I can't find a screen shot. But there ought to be a sub-menu under Wireless if you log into it. Just go through the various pages until your find it. I'll see if there's some more expert guidance about.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I use that software and can see wifi to choose best channel number and I just changed channel number via wireless setting. Useful tool
Anotherone
Champion

It's how to change the channel on the 2110, not a problem seeing what signals are there. Read more carefully for goodness sake. Roll_eyes
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi Interested,
A Voyager 2110, goodness that's a blast from the past, I'm surprised there's any of those still working!
As regards changing the wireless channel, it's possible but there's not much information out there. This is the best I can find at the moment
to change your channel settings, you need to type in to your search bar, voyager.home
Then select advanced, then advanced again. After that select wireless, a window will come up asking for your user name and password, type in admin for the user name and admin for the password, then you will be in, and can change the channel number ok.
There's a screenshot here ]http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/BT/Voyager_2110/Wireless_Configuration.htm
TBH the 2110 is a bit long in the tooth now, it doesn't support wireless 'n' and is going to have increasingly more compatibility issues with modern equipment, you might be better off upgrading the router to a more recent model. PN used to offer to supply a new router for the cost of P & P and write off the cost if you stayed for another year. I'm not sure what the deal is now, you may have to agree to another contract.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Interested
Grafter

I have found the option to change the channels, will try and see if that works.
ATM I have not changed it as my DD is online wirelessly.
Other than intermittent wireless connection problems and inability to print wireless the router is still going fine.
Will probably shop around for routers after payday.
Thanks for your assistance.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Why don't u get free router from PN but just pay for P&P?
Anotherone
Champion

Plusnet aren't doing that now, you can only get the free modem/router if you sign up for another 12 months. I have a good look about and see what is around before deciding.