cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Speed Connection on WNR1000V3

wardie2437
Dabbler

Wireless Speed Connection on WNR1000V3

I'm wondering if anyone has speed connection with their WNR1000V3 router?
I'm only managing 65Mbs.
When I've connected my old TP-LINK 9860N ADSL router, the wireless connection whizzes up to 144+Mbs, and looking at inSSIDer it uses two channels.
Only problem is - I cant get this router to work as a router-only. Sad
I've searched through all of the settings and I cant find anyway of increasing the speed to anywhere near 150Mbs which they claim the WNR1000 should do? Can anyone help?Huh
I've tried auto selecting channels and manually selecting channels
Wireless card is a TENDA W322P, latest drivers
Else if anyone has a TP-LINK TD-W8960N configured as their router and its working fine please let me know. I've tried all the how t's and manuals and still cant get it to function.
Many thanks
14 REPLIES 14
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Wireless Speed Connection on WNR1000V3

Reading the manual for the TD-W8960N, it would appear that it is possible to configure it as a router, although it doesn't look too easy.
In essence what you need to do is configure one of the LAN(ETH) ports as a WAN Interface. Then set the WAN service as pppoe and enter your PlusNet details in a similar manner to those in the WNR. It should then work as a router , similar to the WNR
There is one thing in the manual says, however
To make sure the ETH port available, you should first choose “Advanced Setup”Æ“LAN Ports” to
enable the Virtual LAN Ports feature.

Although I don't have a 8960N if you post back with any specific queries I'll try and answer them by reference to the manual.
BTW do you have a version 2 or V3 8960 as the manuals are different ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wardie2437
Dabbler

ahh now you're asking. I've packed it away in the loft and the amazon details don't say. I'll try and see if I can get it down again.
This is the weblink for the configuration that i followed to the letter
http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=344
I did manage to get it working of sorts, However it seemed to me as though the java on some pages wouldn't load. For example www.mybroadbandspeed testing page loaded up fine but
wouldn't run through the testing process.
I actually tried the abvoe configuration using PPPOE and IPOE - both with the same result.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It should definitely be pppoe. That weblink describes the procedure pretty well and looks fine to me.
However it seemed to me as though the java on some pages wouldn't load

I wonder if that was an MTU issue. Try comparing the MTU setting on the WNR with that for the TPLink ( default 1480 according to the manual )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

wardie2437
Dabbler

ok thanks - I'll try that and let you know Smiley
wardie2437
Dabbler

Hi there,
Router - Firmware - 1.3.6 BUILD 100903 Rel 71418a
Router - Hardware - TD-W8960N V1
MTu's - Netgear WNR1000v3 = 1492
              TP LINK W8960N      =  1400
Router thankfully in what I think was configured state. Can I please ask which MTU number I should set these at
Many thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That 1400 is very low on the TPLink, try setting it to 1492 as shown on the WNR.
Not sure how its got 1400 since the default should be 1480 accourding to the manual.

wardie2437
Dabbler

yes - I totally agree with you - the NETGEAR WNR1000 is set at 1492 - I'll give it a go - Hopefully I'll be posting again via the TP-LINK router !!! - I did reset the TP-LINK to factory defaults before I configured it, never changed it after that, so it must default to 1400
wardie2437
Dabbler

no, sorry its a non-starter. You can only change the MTU if you use QUICK SETUP, and if you use quick setup the router tries to connect by PPPOA and you lose all of the settings you've configured.
for some reason some other settings wont keep either.
When you change MAC address clone (SAVE/APPLY) the link it applies to reverts back to ATM0.
I think to save hassle I'll get a proper TPLINK modem, like this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FWYGJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Thanks very much for your help anyway, much appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Page 21 of the manual I'm looking at seems to show being able to set the MTU size when you configure the pppoe connection from the WAN Service section of the Advanced setup.

wardie2437
Dabbler

Yes - I see it now. The guide I was looking at stated you should use PPP over IP and not PPP OE - if you use PPP over IP it doesn't give you that option.
I did wonder about that.
Anyway I'll have to leave it a while before I try that, the wife wants to playh on Facebook  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Best keep the management happy and let her play on facebook for a while then Smiley

wardie2437
Dabbler

I Give this man top marks - It seems to working really well so far. I'll keep it running and monitor it, but changing the MTU to 1492 AND not following the silly instructions teling me to use PPP over IP instead of PPP OE.
Thanks a million !!! Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You're welcome. Smiley
Lets hope the 8960 helps with the Wireless speed.

attwoods

Quote from: wardie2437
no, sorry its a non-starter. You can only change the MTU if you use QUICK SETUP, and if you use quick setup the router tries to connect by PPPOA and you lose all of the settings you've configured.
for some reason some other settings wont keep either.
When you change MAC address clone (SAVE/APPLY) the link it applies to reverts back to ATM0.
I think to save hassle I'll get a proper TPLINK modem, like this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FWYGJS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Thanks very much for your help anyway, much appreciated.

Hi,
I think I've found the solution to the lost MTU setting problem with the TP-Link router/modem.
I've had a similar need to change the MTU on my new TP-Link TD-W8960N v3 router, but had been frustrated by the Quick Setup page losing a new MTU setting after router reboot..
I use pppoA and my router MTU in this page was fixed at "1400", and I wanted to increase the value, to closer to the windows standard 1500. So I was initially dismayed by your statement which seemed to confirm my worst fears. However,...
I phoned TP-Link and they showed me how the MTU can be set through the "Advanced Setup" group of options. Its non-obvious and "un-documented" in the user manual using search for "MTU", but is actually there in some screenshots, but not mentioned as an edit of an existing connection.
Anyway here is the procedure to change your current WAN settings, including MTU.
Go into the router homepage.
Select Advanced Setup
Select "WAN Service"
      The page shows a table with one row and several columns. In my case, the first column is headed "Interface" and has the value "pppoa0".  On the right most column is an Edit button.
Click the Edit button, and a new page opens headed "WAN Service Configuration", with a box labelled "Enter Service Description: ", and prefilled with "pppoa_0_0_38", underneath are "Back" and "Next" buttons.
Click the Next button and a new page opens headed "PPP Username and Password".
On this page is a tick-box labelled "MTU size", and a data-entry box labelled "MTU (bytes)" with the value "1492" already assigned. This was in fact the MTU I wanted, and I suspect I had managed to set, without realising it, using TCP Doctor.
I then confirmed that the "Quick setup" page was still showing 1400 and asked the Tech Support which is correct? They assured me that the Advanced Setup is the true value.
There are several more setup pages after this one, and then an Apply/Save button at the end. I hope  that this helps other's who were as frustrated as me with the MTU setting problem.
By the way, I bought this router because my old Netgear DG834G v5 would not negotiate a connection to my newly upgraded plusnet ADSL2+ service at 2+ speeds, and I was forced to use ADSL 1. I had read that the TP-Link uses a broadcom chipset which works well with ADSL2+ (wheras the Netgear model I had uses a Conexant chipset which doesn't work so well). The TP-Link connected instantly at around 13200Mbps. And I now get 11Mbps (measured using Speedtest).
Good luck.