Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Router

chrisandnic
Dabbler

Wireless Router

Hi,
I was wondering if you could help me.
I have just signed up for Plus Net option 2 but as I did not want to commit myself for 12 months I did not sign up for the wireless router provided by Plus Net themselves.
Could someone please recommend a router I could purchase that would work well with Plus Net. I am using a desktop pc so am currently not set up for wireless and therefore will need a USB adapter included.
Many thanks in advance
🙂
21 REPLIES 21
James
Grafter

Re: Wireless Router

Hiya,
I think you might have misunderstood our deferred contracts a touch.  It isn't a 12 month contract, but you would have had to pay £29.99 for the router if you left before the 12 months had completed.
You wouldn't have to buy out your contract.  It's not too late for us to send you a router Smiley
chrisandnic
Dabbler

Ah.
I could not find out how much I would have to pay if I did leave before the 12 months. If it is only £29.99 I may as well order one.
Does it come with a USB adapter though if my desktop not does not have a wireless connection installed?
Grin
James
Grafter

It doesn't I'm afraid.
You should be able to pick one up from any old computer store for £10-15.
Let me know if you want me to order you one and I'll get it sorted.
chrisandnic
Dabbler

Does any USB adapter work with any router?
(Sorry for basic questions!)
James
Grafter

Any USB Wireless Adaptor should, yes Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are you sure that your PC doesn't have a network port.
If it doesn't than the easiest thing is to add a cheap network card and then any router will work
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Or a USB to LAN adapter. These are cheaper and better than a wireless adapter if you don't need to be wireless and definitely don't have a LAN (RJ45) port.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Virtually all PCs (desktop and laptop) built in the last 6-7 years (possibly longer) will have an RJ-45 Ethernet port. If your desktop machine is close to your router you will find that connecting it with a simple cable will be easier and cheaper than wireless, and will give a faster more reliable connection.
Wireless is fine in its place, but there are advantages to a wired connection too.
chrisandnic
Dabbler

It has a network port as I had virgin broadband at my old house using the speedtouch modem.
I was under the impression that I needed a wireless enabled network card (is that the right word) installed (I have checked for this under 'My Devices') to go wireless? Or use a usb adapter?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Much better to use a pci card such as this as it has a flexible connector so you can use move the aerial about
paulby
Grafter

@chrisandnic
I think you're confusing network port with USB socket.
The speedtouch modem supplied by Virgin works with a USB port.
You'll find the network port round the back of the PC, generally next to another set of USB sockets.  It looks like a bigger version of the socket on the microfilter that you plug your modem into - see picture (it should also have the symbol shown in the picture adjacent to it).
If you don't  have a socket, a PCI network card for a wired connection will cost about a fiver!
chrisandnic
Dabbler

Firstly thanks for all the feedback.
I am 99.99% sure I will have a network port as shown in the picture. But is this all that is required when using a wireless router (with built in ADSL modem)?
paulby
Grafter

You don't *have* to use the wireless!
If the router is sited near the PC you can use a wired connection (all wireless routers come with standard wired ports too!) and you won't need a wireless dongle (just the RJ45 socket and the cable supplied with the router).
If your PC is some distance away then you could look at buying a wireless dongle or a PCI card but I'd only do that if connecting with a wire isn't an option.
chrisandnic
Dabbler

I think I am getting there now with understanding now thanks.
One more question, will the speedtouch work to get me connected when my Plus Net connection is active?
Thanks again. Much appreciated