cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Range Extenders/Amplifiers

HurstLlama

Wireless Range Extenders/Amplifiers

Looking for some advice here, people.
This morning I got upgraded to the fibre service and am now using wireless on the Technicolour router.  The signals to my son's study and my own are not great (3 bars) and the speed tests do, I think, reflect this.  For example using Herself's laptop in line of sight of the router gives 3 times the download speed that either of the desk tops in the studies.  I am not really surprised because there are solid load bearing walls between the desk tops and the new router.  However, this is not good particularly for my son who is experiencing intermittent lag on his on-line games.  How to solve the problem?
I was wondering about buying a couple of  Wireless Range Extenders to act as amplifiers in each study.  Would this be a sensible idea?  If so does anyone have any suggestion as to which product to buy?
2 REPLIES 2
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Wireless Range Extenders/Amplifiers

It might be worth trying to change your wireless channel - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
If that doesn't help Powerline adapters may be a better option?
HurstLlama

Re: Wireless Range Extenders/Amplifiers

Thanks for that.  I am not sure changing the channel will help as speeds with the full five bars on the wireless are good, but I will explore powerline adapters.