cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Performance

kelvin
Grafter

Wireless Performance

I had my unlimited Plusnet fibre broadband installed on Monday (which went well) and I am very pleased with the ~60Mbps speed I am getting to my wired desktop. The problem is with my laptop where speeds can vary dramatically, from as little as 0.2Mbps at times, more usually 2-3 Mbps and very rarely up to ~12Mbps. The laptop is two rooms away from the router so the signal has to travel about 15ft  through two brick walls but I didn't have this problem with my O2 router and "standard" speed of 3-4Mbps. That router had two antennae whereas the Plusnet router has no visible antenna -  so is it worse quality? I am sharing a channel with a neighbouring system (but always have) and nothing other than the router (and broadband provider) has changed. The router and lap top are in the same position and I have improved service by wiring up my wife's laptop so we are no longer in competition for the wireless signal.
I have checked and no one else is stealing my signal. The signal strength improves if I take the laptop into the same room and speed increase to 20Mbps (but nothing like the 60Mbps I get if wired). I have considered installing mains cable ethernet plugs or adding a repeater but this all seems extra expense. I have even looked at buying a much improved router but this could cause problems.
The laptop (and I assume the router) use wireless "n" and perhaps there is a limit to wireless speeds that I am unaware of or maybe something else will restrict the speed.
Have others experienced this problem?
8 REPLIES 8
TBag
Grafter

Re: Wireless Performance

Have others experienced this problem?

Yes. My daughter's Asus Laptop runs perfect giving full speed, whereas my son's Samsung is giving erratic speeds on wireless, just a few feet away from the wifi router. On wire it yields full speed. From this I concluded that the wifi card in the Samsung wasn't up to the job, even upgrading the drivers didn't help.
This could and really should improve the Samsung wifi quality. Will be ordering it soon.
Bright
Grafter

And there are quite a lot of other threads on this board from people who have problems with the TG582n's wireless performance - have a browse!
kelvin
Grafter

OK I will do and see what solutions they came up with.
I have just spent some time looking at the router details and it looks as though it is set at 5.5Mbps for wireless although this doesn't sit with me being able to get 20 when a couple of feet away
dick:quote
kelvin
Grafter

Looks like I need to read all the rules as well and not quote the message immediately before my reply.  Smiley
I have found the thread on this page discussing it and wireless performance of this router is obviously an issue. I will do some more research before deciding to buy a better router (such as the Asus or TPlink) or power line adapters or add a repeater.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Kelvin,
I know you've checked your wireless channel but have you tried changing it?
provence

I have struggled with wireless speed too, achieving 50 Mbps with Ethernet and perhaps 3 Mbps with wireless.  Perhaps I have found the answer to some people's problems, though.
Having changed channels and eventually my router, no improvement was gained.
When I logged the problem with Plusnet they mentioned that a nearby mobile mast can cause interference problems.  I have no local mast so at first ignored the issue but then remembered that I do have a Vodafone Sure Signal box to compensate - a mast in your house, if you like.  I moved my VSS box two metres away from the router and am now achieving similar high rates on Ethernet and wireless. 
This won't apply to many of you but I hope it saves someone some grief.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

This won't apply to many of you but I hope it saves someone some grief.

That's what community is all about, I wasn't personally aware that could cause such issues so I'm sure others may not be either.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Having Mobile phones and Cordless phones and their Base stations too close can also cause problems sometimes.
Edit: Also Microwave ovens, Video senders in fact anything else that operates on (or near) 2.4Ghz as well.