cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Network Download speed

hounddog

Wireless Network Download speed

Maybe someone can put me straight as I seem to be misunderstanding something.
I have a new fibre bb connected to my pc by an ethernet cable. I have just tried a Belkin usb wieless adapter (N300) which states 'up to 300Mbps which I thought could replace the ethernet connection. However, my download speed fell to about 2Mb from 35.5MB. Am I comparing apples with oranges?
I have just checked the speeds on my wife's quite old laptop and she is getting 23.6/5.6 so it would seem that I should have got better.
On my pc the upload speed was near normal; around 7.5Mb.
Just thinking:  I only disconnected the ethernet cable. Should I go into Device management and remove the ethernet adapter there as well? It is on the motherboard.
Roy
6 REPLIES 6
hounddog

Re: Wireless Network Download speed

Have looked further and cannot see how to disconnect through Device Manager but presumably could disable this device through Network Connections. I don't want to do anything that would mess up my router though as the original aim was to get rid of a cable but not at the cost of connection speed.
Quote from Adapter manual/ Troubleshooting:
The Adapter does not perform or connection is slow
when computer has a built-in wired Ethernet card.
This condition occurs if your computer has an active Ethernet
card while your Adapter is also active. This happens because
Windows must now handle two active network connections.
You must disable the Ethernet card from your computer
under “Network Adapters” in the Device Manager.
It was only slow on the download.
Thanks,    Roy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: hounddog
The Adapter does not perform or connection is slow
when computer has a built-in wired Ethernet card.

I have never come across this and it sounds dreadful.  What are Belkin thinking of?  All computers have built-in wired Ethernet.
kmilburn
Grafter

A drop to 2mbps seems unusual,  depending on when, which test site used, and if its consistent there are a miriad of possible causes.
I've seen issues with thinkbroadband.com,  and with speedtest.net it depends on the server used.
Also,  what router do you have?
There are a number of factors that affect wireless connectivity in general.
  Firstly,  the speed rating is the theoretical maximum, rarely achievable outside a lab.
  It includes all the messaging overheads, which are higher on wireless than wired.
  It also the total for all devices using the same channel, i.e. your router and all your wireless devices,  plus any neighbouring systems using the same channel.
  Plus,  any interference will impact on achievable speed.
Ultimately,  for the most reliable connection,  you can't beat wiires (copper or glass)!

hounddog

ReedRichards: I quite agree, also surely it would affect the upload speed as well.
kmilburn: as above. 
Speedtest done on two online websites.
The router is just above the pc.  It is Plusnet's fibre router, Technicolour TG582n FTTC.  Wireless connectivity is rated as 'excellent'
I have just tried the adapter again and checked speeds with 'My Broadband Speed' through PN.
Download only 3.136Mb  but upload 7.503Mb.  As you say: wire is king!
hounddog

Further:
Have just looked at the Router's interfaces and I see that it says WLAN: PlusnetWireless(5.5Mbps)  so is that another limit on the speed available? If so that is slower than I expected. It is supposed to support wireless N as is the adapter.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: hounddog
WLAN: PlusnetWireless(5.5Mbps)  so is that another limit on the speed available?

Yes.  The implication is that you are at the limit of the range of communication between the router and the adaptor and that is as fast as can be managed.